As promised, I’m sharing with you a recipe for healthy and wholesome Spinach and Bacon Quiche.
With cuisine going global, there’s hardly anyone who hasn’t heard of a quiche.
This quintessential French pie with a crisp, crusty base and light cheesy filling is the ideal dish for a Spring time Brunch or a hearty mid-autumn meal.
However with us Mumbaikars there’s no real season like Spring or Autumn and one day is as good as the other. So on Sunday when Anna Shetty expressed a desire to eat quiche for lunch , I decided to take out my pie dish and make a healthy, wholesome quiche.
The recipe for the quiche is adapted from the original one found in ‘French Cooking’ by Jeni Wright. This book is one of a series from the St. Michael Cookery Library. Collecting recipe books is not exactly my passion because I often find that only a few recipes are ever used. However, I inherited this series from my sister-in-law who had outgrown these recipes after she graduated from Catering College.
Bacon and spinach quiche
For the pie crust you will need
175 / 1.5 cups of whole wheat flour
100 g of margarine/butter grated
1 egg yolk
Pinch of salt
To make the pie crust
Sift flour and add grated butter/ margarine that is cold . Rub in till mixture resembles bread crumbs.
Add egg yolk and mix in with cold water a little at a time till the dough just comes together.
Reserve the egg white
Chill in the fridge for 30 mins.
To make the filling you will need
1 medium onion finely chopped
2 cups of fresh spinach finely chopped
1 packet lean bacon
1 tspn olive oil
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
- Roll out the pastry dough on a floured surface and place into a greased and floured pie dish.
- Prick randomly with a fork and allow to bake blind for 10 minutes in an oven heated at 180 C
- After 10 mins, remove from oven and brush pastry case with beaten egg white and bake again for 5 mins.
- While the pastry dough is resting in the fridge, cook together the onion, bacon and spinach.
- Allow to cool while pastry case is baking
- Whisk together 4 eggs, 1 cup milk and add grated cheese.
- When pastry case is done, remove from oven and put cooked bacon, spinach and onion mixture.
- Top with egg, milk and cheese mixture and put back in oven to bake . This should take around 40 mins.
- When the top of the quiche is golden brown, remove from oven . Cut into wedges and serve.
- To bake blind put some raw beans on a baking sheet and place on the rolled out pastry and bake .
- Bacon is salty so add the salt judiciously.
Do try this recipe and let me know how it turns out .
Bon appétit and au revoir!