All those years ago when computers were just about making their way into people’s homes, I remember my five year old niece from America asking me what I wanted a computer for. At that time I was quite aghast at her effrontery especially since she had just got herself gifted a PC by her indulgent father. So when I told her that I wanted one to place my trusty old typewriter, she just sniffed in condescension .
However, I persisted in my demand, as I persisted in my learning and I’m pleased and proud to say that I mastered this technology all on my own. Of course it helped that I asked around for help from time to time and adopted the strategy of a teenage boy – go ahead and tinker with whatever you want; after all when things go wrong Dad picks up the tab! While my Dad did not pick up the tab, this attitude of being young and fearless helped me attain a proficiency in a technology few of my generation or gender have managed without any formal training.
Thus, having considered myself to be a genius of sorts, I find it completely frustrating to use an iPad .
- The Internet is not always easily accessible : at least the signal is not always strong. I live almost 500 m away from the MTNL building yet find it hard to get Network. I find a similar problem with wifi.
- Typing on a touch pad is extremely frustrating for someone like me who likes to hear the tap tap of keys
- Navigating the screen is another problem with my fat fingers not synchronising with the screen. Unlike the old fashioned key board with its up and down keys, I find it hard to go back and forth in a document .
- I can’t connect to Zemanta and find the iPad very inconvenient for Blogging.
- I hate the idea of downloading apps. I mean if every time you want to do something you have to down load it does become inconvenient especially when some applications require wifi for downloading! This I find extremely frustrating especially since my service provider doesn’t supply wifi. This means that I have to lug my iPad to a place which allows wifi.
- Since I don’t listen to music or watch movies, I find no real use for these functions.
- Similarly, I find it cumbersome to point my iPad and shoot! Moreover when the photos are not all that great.
- I find the iPad not very convenient to carry around either. It is not that small to fit in a small bag and it is too delicate to carry just as it is.
- And since it can’t be used as a phone it is not multi functional either.