Looking back, looking forward#woty
This is my favourite time of the year when people make lists of the good and bad things that happened throughout the year, take stock of achievements and goals and redefine their tasks for the year ahead .
So what are my achievements in 2015?
- Expanding my family tree:Undoubtedly the increase of my tribe by two more grandchildren born in the middle of the year : a girls and a boy born 5 weeks apart. While I am aware that this not really MY achievement, there are two more souls on this world thanks to my original two.
- Expanding my horizons:I managed two overseas trips this year, a short trip to Dubai in the first half and a longer one to Singapore. Seeing these cities brought home the fact that just 30 years ago, Mumbai was way ahead of these cities and today it is 30 years behind! Returning home, I was saddened to see my city sink further into chaos while the rest of the world marched ahead. And, what was more disheartening was the fact that both these cities are actually built to a large extent on the labour of my compatriots. What happens to us in India? Why can we not make our own cities work?
- Re-organising my BLOGS and reinventing myself: Taking a cue from several bloggers I admire, chief among them being Corinne and Vidya, I actually took the bull by the horns and took the first step to tidying up my internet identity. I took the help of Tanya of Blogelina and though I’m not entirely thrilled with the result, am happy that I took this step. Foodities and Mumbaionahigh are two blogs that are self hosted and I find, strangely enough that my WordPress blogs had less glitches proving that all that’s paid for doesn’t always work well.
- Learning how to #blog without a desktop: Now this is a major technological breakthrough for me who is a firm believer in pounding only a trusty keyboard. A month’s stay in Singapore forced me out of my comfort zone and compelled me to use my iPhone more effectively. I can now upload photos, link URLS, copy paste efficiently and above all blog and email using #Wifi! Alas the Canva experience is not possible on mobiles yet, else I’d have been making more graphics. However, I’ve discovered VivaVideo and it won’t be long before I begin posting Video blogs
- Expanding my blogging experience: I participated insome amazing events -# BOLTING with Blogadda to Tiger Hill , participating in the #softestforbabyskin Pamper Launch which coincided with #WIN15.
- I went for several other events independent of Blogadda and participated in the A to Z challenge which had me blogging for an entire month!
- Learning to say NO: this was by far my greatest achievement. While this has reduced my angst, it has increased my weight because I learnt to say NO to exercising and reducing my intake of food.
And looking forward?
Well like most people who make resolutions,in 2016 I plan on
- Becoming a better person
- Losing weight
- Exercising regularly
- Blogging regularly
- Taking my blog rank higher
- Mastering social media
And above all I plan on learning to take life less seriously. With every passing year passing even faster than the previous year, I realise how much time I tend to waste in thinking and re-thinking and re-re-thinking. Situations don’t change by thinking,instead things swept under the carpet miraculously DO vanish.
Word of the year
Two weeks ‘ ago I read Corinne’s post on choosing a word for the year which she says is more meaningful than making resolutions that we tend to break even faster than we make them.
So my word for 2016 is actually two words : BE ME.
Over the years I’ve been amazed at finding facets of myself that I didn’t even know I possessed; qualities that remained in my subconscious, surfacing at the strangest of times. Circumstances often make you downplay or mask certain attitudes and aptitudes and highlight or adopt others. Societal norms and expectations make us change or tweak our personalities just so that we fit in. Perhaps if I make a conscious effort, I may still be able to BE ME without creating too many ripples.
I’m linking this post to EverydayGyaan’s #YourWordfor2016
“I’m sharing my #TalesOf2015 with BlogAdda.”