Gearing up to #MakeInIndia

Yesterday morning as I drove down the Kemps Corner flyover I came across 7 men desultorily painting the bridge . With each man painting only to the extent his hand could reach on either side, it wasn’t surprising that it took so many of them to do the job . What was surprising was that despite their number ,it took them all day to finish the job.
Further down the road on Marine Drive a huge white tent was being put up on the sands of Chowpatty , behind temporary walls of corrugated sheets. In the blistering heat, gardeners were planting petunias in newly painted flower beds.

While returning home on Monday afternoon I was shocked to see a huge ugly statue of a man with an umbrella. To my mind, the umbrella looked like a bomb and the statue looked like that of a terrorist.

The roundabout opposite  the Hinduja building has been spruced up in the colours of our flag while three proud cockerels were marching on the grass.

And all along the road were posters announcing the #Make In India campaign  where a magnificent lion struts across bearing the message that promises a business opportunity.

#MakeInIndia

The whole city seems to be getting spruced up with dilapidated municipal buildings getting a much needed repair job, road dividers actually being put in place and the nooks and crannies in the pavements being swept clean.

Finally, I could see the might of our MahanagarPalika actually in action.

geared up to #MakeInIndia

My favourite though is this colourful lion strutting across a lush green garden in  at the top of Marine Drive,  truly geared up to #MakeInIndia .

While I am happy that the city is clean and finally livable, isn’t it a shame that our civic authorities don’t bother to do this on an everyday basis? Don’t we, the tax payers of India deserve a better life? Or is that only the privilege of those who choose not to work?

68029C97DEC6650445F615069530BAA9 signature
I’m linking this post to Blog Commenting Tribe.

1. Rt says:

Great write up

The apathy of the civic body in our city is pathetic. Their motto seems to be – as long as it works and no one complains, let it work. And all these changes are for a privilege few. They have let down our great city.

I agree. Do you think we should blog for Mumbai or have a Twitter campaign to demand our right to a better city

Sorry I sent off an incomplete reply. After all our taxes pay civic workers salaries so they OWE it to us . It’s high time these lazy corrupt inefficient highly pampered people are taken to task

3. Meena Menon says:

Lets hope they at least did a thorough cleaning and not a namesake job! Loved that colroful lion

4. Alana says:

There’s a voter rebellion in the United States (we are starting our election year for President) with many sick of broken promises and broken dreams. Politicians give what we call “lip service” but infrastructure continues to deteriorate and young people are worse off than their parents in many instances. People lose heart. We do, sadly, have something in common, it would seem.
    Alana recently posted…Time to Think of Gardening.My Profile

Yes, politicians are the scourge of all societies or perhaps we naively expect too much from them. This kind of realisation that causes voter apathy is actually more detrimental to good governance so sadly we have to make the most of the choices available and choose the best of the worst!

5. Shantala says:

Oh I liked the final lion the best, too. Good to see the city getting all spruced up – it deserves it – after all it is the financial capital of the country. 🙂
    Shantala recently posted…Valentine’s Day for Toddlers! – Why does this exist?!My Profile

Alas this city could have been the financial capital of the world! The last time it was cleaned up was when Mr.Obama came visiting. Even our PMs fleeting visit didn’t merit such cleanliness

6. That lion is amazing! I loved my visit to Mumbai and I loved being there again through your observations.
    Carol Cassara recently posted…The growing problem of social media anxiety disorderMy Profile

Oh Yes ! I agree he looks amazing . There’s another one I believe of him in grey metal which I hope to capture during the week.

7. ajay says:

so does the credit go to MR.Modi?