• Uncategorised
  • 13

Masks on a wall of masked beauty #atoz challenge

I’m participating with over 1000 bloggers in the 7th  A to Z Challenge  and will be blogging the whole of April about the ‘ Things around My House’, from A to Z. Today is M for the Masks that hang on my wall of masks.

Do visit the A to Z Challenge posts on Facebook.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wall of Masks

On top of my bathroom door hangs a Venetian mask that reminds me of my  visit to Venice: an unforgettable , crazy 4 hour visit. The three of us and baby-in-the-pram took  a tram to the train station and then a boat to  the Piazza San Marco. There, under a cloudy afternoon sky we wandered through the tiny streets, and drank in all the sights like the typical tourists that we were.
I have always been fascinated by masks, particularly the garish ones with bells and gilt, used at masked balls and couldn’t resist buying this one of the court jester made of papier mache.

On the same wall is a set of framed Chinese Paper cuts  representing the masks used in the Beijing Opera.

I must admit that I’ve never been to the Beijing Opera (or any other Opera for that matter) and these masks always serve to remind me that there’s one more thing I must strike off my Bucket List. So one day, I hope to see a performance where these masked beauties on my wall actually come alive.

Masks have been used since ancient times in various cultures  for rituals as well as entertainment. They symbolise different emotions and are used to heighten the narrative in folk theatre.

At one time, masked balls were popular  and even today, pre-Lenten carnivals   revellers  dance through the streets in wild abandon, hiding their identities behind them.

1. Seena says:

Such a lovely memory. And a lovely souvenir to always remind you about it! So much mystery in a mask..

2. Shelly says:

I think I’d be creeped out having masks in my home.

Shelly @ http://hangryfork.com
    Shelly recently posted…Lakeside Heights Lakeport CA Sliding Since 2013My Profile

3. Kala Ravi says:

That is one pretty Venetian mask Sunita! The Chinese masks are lovely too! Never been to either place. I do have some wooden masks that were souvenirs from a trip to Africa. I love those masked balls I’ve seen in movies….so exciting!
    @KalaRavi16 from
    Relax-N-Rave
    Kala Ravi recently posted…Mirror Magic at HomeMy Profile

4. G Angela says:

Interesting post ! hats off to you for having kept this mask so safely, reminding you of memorable moments 🙂
    G Angela recently posted…M – Money and RelationshipMy Profile

5. Tina Basu says:

I too have a Venetian Mask back at home. We got that from Venice!
    Tina From
    The Sunny Side of Life
    Twinkling Tina Cooks
    Tina Basu recently posted…Mexican Corn SaladMy Profile

6. Shilpa Garg says:

You have an impressive collection of masks. Somehow, I get a creepy scary feeling about masks.
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…Mindfulness #AtoZChallenge @AprilA2ZMy Profile

It’s strange some one else felt the same . Actually I love masks and want to buy some from Kerala they look really do look fierce

7. maliny says:

I haven’t fancied masks enough, maybe because I never had much exposure to them. Those masks at your home look fabulous. Loved the first one more though.
    maliny recently posted…My Delicious Bait – Mid Week QuestsMy Profile

8. rajlakshmi says:

those are such cool masks… Although I would be scared to put one in my bedroom. Somehow all the horror movies have ruined masks for me 😛

A Whimsical Medley