Xmas wreaths add to Christmas cheer # atoz challenge

My first acquaintance with a wreath was rather morbid :  I was in Class 7 and our class teacher assigned me with the task of taking a wreath to the home of a classmate who had lost her father, on behalf of the entire class. The job itself filled me with dread and I prayed that the delicate floral offering wouldn’t fall or get damaged as I wobbled on my bicycle. Luckily it didn’t but  I always associated wreaths with sorrow till we got our own Xmas wreaths at home.

My little girls were fascinated by the Christmas decorations in the club and always wanted to decorate the home with green and red buntings, the Christmas tree and wreaths. We searched high and low for decent wreaths but couldn’t find any. So one trip when Hubby Dear got home XMas wreaths, they were thrilled beyond belief. Every year they were put up one on the front door and one on the door of their room.

Obviously, they were kept away every year back in their original packing , on top of the cupboard only to be taken down the following year. For the past two years my younger daughter has been ‘borrowing’ these wreaths for her own Christmas celebration.

Doesn’t this wreath planted  in the centre of her Christmas breakfast look enchanting?

Xmas Wreaths

The word wreath comes from the word “writhen” that was an old English word meaning “to writhe” or “to twist.” The art of hanging Christmas wreaths originated from the Romans who hung wreaths on their doors as a sign of victory and of their status in society.

Christmas wreaths are made by twisting or bending evergreen branches into a large circle which are then decorated with pinecones and a red bow. The circle shape of the wreath is made to represent Christ’s eternal love, his strength, and the creation of new life.

– See more at: http://www.wilsonevergreens.com/christmas-wreath-history/#sthash.yIYHwcAx.dpuf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Image for XWith only three days to go the  7th  A to Z Challenge is coming to an end. Today is X  for Xmas wreaths

Do visit the A to Z Challenge posts on Facebook.

The table with the wreath looks so inviting. It has survived for so long. Wow.

I think it survived because I had girls . I’m sure if I had sons it would have met a different end

2. Deepti says:

So nice that You managed to maintain the wreath in such a good condition year after year.. and now even your daughter is using it..
    Loved the table decoration…
    Deepti recently posted…Xanthippe*My Profile

3. seena says:

Wow, what an nice homey spread. 🙂 I love wreaths. Yes, we primarily saw it only at funerals.. but now with so much of exposure via the Internet… we can have a wreath for any occasion… but Xmas is the best!
    Seena
    #AtoZChallenge – X is for Xanax

4. Kala Ravi says:

Christmas wreaths do weave a certain magic! I place them on my front door and on the tree too. The Christmas breakfast table looks yummily laden and the wreaths add to the beauty!
    Kala Ravi recently posted…X-tra Special – Desks and Book-ShelvesMy Profile

5. Enjoyed the post – we all struggled with an X post and we all cleverly accomplished one. I wrote my A to Z on Southern Foods and Memories. https://everyonehasafamilystorytotell.wordpress.com/2016/04/28/blogging-from-a-to-z-april-2016-x/

Indeed that is the most challenging letter. Sometimes I wonder why we have that letter at all considering there aren’t too many words that begin with it. ( of course it’s used mainly within a word rather than at the beginning )

I tried to respond to your comment yesterday but had issues with connectivity.

6. Archana says:

Using the wreath as a table decoration is a wonderful idea! Little effort and great look!
    Archana recently posted…X is for XanthiumMy Profile

7. Parul says:

More that the wreath, the food is tempting. I need to come to Mumbai now 🙂
    Parul recently posted…Y for Yes to Reproductive Health #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

Would love to welcome you home. Incidentally the spread was at my daughter’s home . She now borrows my wreath every Christmas!

8. rajlakshmi says:

it does look beautiful. I love wreaths… always had planned to make one with paper flowers but never got around to do it.

A Whimsical Medley