• Uncategorised
  • 25

Why I love this Indian Idol #atozchallenge

Image for IHindus are idol worshippers and many  have idols of their ancestral/family/favourite Gods enshrined in a special room or altar. While the basic tenets of Hinduism are common, the worship and rituals vary.  In my own family, each of us has our own favourite idol but there is one Indian Idol that we all love – Lord Ganesh.

This portly Elephant-headed God ,zipping around on His tiny mouse, has several interesting stories associated with his birth,his childhood and the reasons why people worship Him.

All religious ceremonies begin with a prayer invoking His presence. Even a visit to a temple dedicated to another Hindu God, is initiated with a preliminary call to the little idol of Ganesha kept in a niche outside.

Millions believe that He is the

• supreme protector of  people
  • remover of all obstacles
  • bestower of happiness and joy
  • destroyer of enemies

His worshippers are assured knowledge, wisdom and prosperity.

My Indian Idol

My little, Ganesha idol holds a special place in my heart because He came into my life a very special way . Every yearImage for Lord Ganesh He comes out of my cupboard and is given pride of place in the centre of our living room. The peace that radiates is palpable and I can spot a smile of satisfaction on His face.

I also adore Him because this is the one time we indulge in the  yummy modak that are made specially for Him and devoured greedily by us on His behalf.

During this festival, Community Ganeshas are installed in different parts of the city and I love visiting them.

Is it any wonder He is my favourite Indian Idol? Do you have any favourites?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m participating with over 1000 bloggers in the 7th  A to Z Challenge  and will be blogging the whole of April about the ‘ Things around My House’, from A to Z. Today I introduce you to my favourite Indian Idol – Lord Ganesha

Do visit the A to Z Challenge posts on Facebook.

1. Parul says:

That’s a beautiful one. I don’t have a pick on an idol but all in my pooja ghar are my favorite 🙂
    Parul recently posted…I for It’s Your Fault #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

2. Kala Ravi says:

Ganpati Bappa Moriya! He is my favorite too! I have a collection of His idols on display, all diminutive pieces over 100 (last I counted)! Being a Mumbaikar, Bappa stands tall in all our lives!
    @KalaRavi16 from
    Relax-N-Rave
    Kala Ravi recently posted…Interior Designer: Why hire one?My Profile

3. Kavipriya says:

Lovely post. Each home has a cute Ganesha idol, and there are friends of mine who collect 108-1008 Ganesh idols too.

Wow! That’s amazing. I’d have collected them too but it’s tough keeping them all aligned in the east west direction.

Ganpati bappa Morya.. One of my favourite idols and festivals.

5. Archana says:

Like you, its Ganesha for me too! I have many Ganesh idols most have been gifts.
    Good going on the challenge!
    @yenforblue from
    Spice of Life!
    Archana recently posted…I is for Iris lacteaMy Profile

6. Rajlakshmi says:

I am eyeing the modak on the plate 🙂 i thought it to be some other indian idol 🙂 probably shiva , ganesh and Krishna are the top favorites.

7. seena says:

Good post. We all have that one we run to first..
    Cheers,
    Seena
    #AtoZChallenge- I is for Immunizations

8. While I have over a dozen Ganesha idols at home (one even made personally) I have to say I am partial to Lord Vishnu myself 🙂

My Entry for the #AtoZChallenge –
    Tv Shows: I – Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Roshan Radhakrishnan recently posted…Know Your Show: It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

Well I have only now begun to appreciate the other Gods …. I love the Vishnu painted by Ramesh Gorjala. They are simply stunning.

9. Tina Basu says:

Beautiful Ganesha
    Tina from
    Twinkling Tina Cooks
    The Sunny Side of Life
    Tina Basu recently posted…Icy RefresherMy Profile

10. Shilpa Garg says:

I think we have Ganesha idols in every room. He is my fav too. Your post reminded me of the Ganpati festival in Mumbai and the celebrations in our apartment complex.
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…Imagination #AtoZChallenge @AprilA2ZMy Profile

11. G Angela says:

Nice to hear from you, loved reading your post on Idols, and the picture is very impressive 🙂
    G Angela recently posted…J– Journey TogetherMy Profile

12. I love Ganpathi for he brings the city together and for its fun, endearing aspect:)
    Love this one.
    Vishal Bheeroo recently posted…‪#‎AtoZChallenge: N for NumbMy Profile

13. Truly Happy says:

Lord Ganesha is my favorite too. I think he is my 4 year old’s favorite too.

When you get a moment read my post about Lord Ganesha here : https://thewonderyears123.wordpress.com/2016/04/09/how-did-i-come/

Very beautiful idol of Ganesha. May Lord Ganesha bless you and your family with loads and loads of health and happiness always.