• Uncategorised
  • 15

Ceramic Jars in Blue & White from Aw #atozchallenge

Image for JI’m participating with over 1000 bloggers in the 7th  A to Z Challenge  and will be blogging the whole of April about the ‘ Things around My House’, from A to Z. The Aw Pottery JARS at home aren’t unique but I definitely haven’t seen them anywhere else so far.

Do visit the A to Z Challenge posts on Facebook.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What are Blue & White jars from AW?

Four fat, little ceramic jars that squat contentedly on a sideboard near my dining table. These are jars made at AW POTTERIES, a studio situated in Johor Bahru  and acquired by my mother-in-law during her brief sojourn in Malaysia in the late 70’s.

Pottery has pre-historic origins (remember  Mohenjo daro from our history books?) and used in different civilisations. It naturally progressed into Ceramics , a more durable form of earthenware with a glazing to make it less porous. Blue & White was introduced to the world by the Chinese as early as the 9th Century . This combination with a universal appeal has been replicated in Europe (Delft Blue) and Asia (even Jaipur in India .)

Traditionally, these ceramic jars are used to store household grains but in my home, I use them to keep medicines!

My Blue&White Ceramic Jars

My Blue&White jars are around 10″ high, with separate internal lids and have delicate brush worked landscapes in Oriental style. Few would suspect that I use them to store medicines, a far cry from what they were originally intended for!

My Blue&White jars aren’t antiques, but I can see some cracks in the glazing and a distinct discolouration over the years. I am sure they will  become vintage by the time my great grandchildren inherit them!

Incidentally, Johor Bahru is a great holiday destination, especially for families with young children. With summer coming up, you could explore the possibility of travelling to Malaysia and come back with some Aw Pottery too!

1. seena says:

Nothing as beautiful as blue pottery jars. Loving your theme!
    Cheers,
    Seena

#AtoZChallenge- J for Just Joking!

2. rajlakshmi says:

I loved the brushworks. Looks so beautiful and delicate. You got lovely things around your house 🙂

A Whimsical Medley
    Twinkle Eyed Traveller
    rajlakshmi recently posted…Of Job and Mommy Dear #atozchallengeMy Profile

3. Kala Ravi says:

Ahh, such a dainty pair! You are lucky to have one so old and passed on safely to you. It was interesting reading all about the history of blue pottery. Nothing quite matches of vintage china and pottery! Loving your quaint theme more and more Sunita 🙂
    @KalaRavi16 from
    Relax-N-Rave
    Kala Ravi recently posted…Hang your Art RightMy Profile

4. Shalini R says:

Those are adorable. I so love ceramic pottery and especially the blue ones. It gives a royal look. Oh, how I wish I had them to adorn my kitchen walls.
    Shalini R recently posted…But, what about your Job? #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

You’ll get them one day I’m sure…. There are so many craft fairs and of course the possibility of being transferred to a place where they’re made

5. My Era says:

Love the delicate landscapes painted in Oriental styles on this adorable blue pottery jars. I quite liked your idea of storing medicines in them to keep them in use while avoiding damage from frequent handling.
    My Era recently posted…7 Parenting lessons I learnt from The Jungle BookMy Profile

6. G Angela says:

Nice and beautiful jars, appreciate you for keeping so carefully, also love the colour combination !
    G Angela recently posted…J– Journey TogetherMy Profile

7. I used to be a collector of blue ceramics, pottery, and glassware. Love the artistry and the colors.

8. Beautiful! I’m a fan of gzhel – the blue and white pottery from Russia. These are fantastic too!