• Uncategorised
  • 16

A patchwork Quilt handcrafted with love #atozchallenge

Today is Q for Quilts as I blog about ‘Things around my house in the 7th  A to Z Challenge

Do visit the A to Z Challenge posts on Facebook.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A quilt is a specially crafted covering made up of several layers of fabric normally held together with a running thread. We have several quilts at home, commercially made  with block printed mulmul outer layers enclosing a layer of soft, cotton that provides just the right amount of warmth and weight to give you a good night’s rest. However, there are two very special quilts:  those made by my daughters during the days of their pregnancies for their babies on the way.  What makes them more special is that neither of them knew how to hem or even fix a button !

Can you believe this quilt is made by a novice who doesn’t even know how to stitch a button?

Tips on making a patchwork quilt

There is an indescribable feeling of joy as the quilt is made and even a novice seamstress can dream of making one. Here are some tips that will help you:

• Always choose a pattern preferably one which has templates that you can trace on to cardboard.
  • Plan the colours and buy fabric accordingly, making sure that you have enough fabric for each piece/square
  • Fabric should be of the same texture so that they sit well
  • Make sure your seams are straight
  • Iron down the seams so that they sit well.

People who are handy with a sewing machine or needle will find it easy to make a patchwork quilt but for those whose closest encounter with a sewing machine is at the tailors’, I would advise a few practice sessions to get the seams in straight lines.

Quilting is a great way to use up scraps and can be therapeutic.  But be warned, it is addictive and once you get the first few words of praise, it will be hard to resist making the second and the third and more…….

1. Shilpa Garg says:

That’s such a cute patterned quilt! And it’s made by total novices in stitching… that’s super cool! 🙂
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…Quietness #AtoZChallenge @AprilA2ZMy Profile

2. Esha Dutta says:

What a beautifully handcrafted quilt that was and nobody can say it is done by a novice! NO way!! Seriously, quilting requires oodles of patience but it is so rewarding when you see the beautiful finished product. My MIL makes lovely ones…Thinking of trying my hand at one, after seeing the pics you posted. 🙂

3. maliny says:

I never made one. Those look so cute! Did your daughters take lessons from anyone?
    maliny recently posted…Wistful – Short FictionMy Profile

4. Kala Ravi says:

Sunita that is such an adorable quilt image you shared! My sis-in-law is absolutely brilliant at quilt-making and has virtually made quilts of every size and gifted practically everyone in the family with her beautiful creations! So you are right….quilt-making is addictive 🙂
    @KalaRavi16 from
    Relax-N-Rave
    Kala Ravi recently posted…Quick-Fix Makeover Ideas for your HomeMy Profile

5. RT says:

Wow, I’m thrilled you featured my quilt mum! Btw, I could stitch a button but you are right, nothing beyond that. I had never used a sewing machine. However, I had a fabulous and patient teacher…. it was a lot of fun – choosing the fabrics in the wholesale market in Korea, and adapting the pattern to my “dancing elephants”…. Quilting brought serenity and concentration back in my life. Thanks mum for always inspiring us to try out new things and keep at it!

6. seena. says:

so adorable.. am in awe of people who do this
    Seena
    #AtoZChallenge – Q is for Quiet

7. That quilt is lovely! I’m always seriously impressed with people who can make stuff like that. A family friend makes clothes for her granddaughters and I think that’s amazing.
    Good luck with the rest of the A-Z Challenge – the end is in sight!
    I’m writing about my favourite fictional characters for the A-Z Challenge over on ElenaSquareEyes.
    ElenaSquareEyes recently posted…TOP 5 WEDNESDAY: Books You’re Intimidated ByMy Profile

8. Parul says:

I love quilts like these. I used to transform a bed sheet into a quilt when I was a teenager 🙂
    Parul recently posted…R for Rights #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

9. I used to play this online game in which I could design quilts within a few minutes. But it quilting surely takes a lot more time and dedication!
    The quilt really looks beautiful 🙂
    Mithila Menezes @Fabulus1710 recently posted…If I Were A BookMy Profile