• Uncategorised
  • 22

Do bells on the key chain warn people? #atozchallenge

The key chain with bells

This is my Image for Bells on a key chain key chain with bells, the one that I keep clipped on my waist. Most Indian women (at least the old fashioned ones) have a key chain like this , clipped on to the sari. It was the ultimate symbol of a bossy and efficient housewife who ran her household like a tight ship.  It was much cherished and passed on like a baton by a mother-in-law to her daughter-in-law, signifying a transfer of power.

My key chain has no such provenance. It was bought with the money my husband gifted me the first Diwali we celebrated as a couple. Nor am I under the illusion that my presence makes my minions quake since I have no minions either!

But my key chain with its tiny, jingly, jangly  bells was a great early warning system for my little girls who used to be up playing in their room while Hubby and I were out for the night. The minute they heard the tinkling sound at the door, they’d quickly jump into bed, pull up the covers and shut their eyes tight while I looked in on them and kissed them good night.

Many of the bells have now fallen off and some of the keys it holds are redundant. I also don’t wear saris that often but still manage to tuck the clip onto the waistband of my trousers or salvar, enjoying its heavy feel, the jingly bells and the illusion of power.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m participating with over 1000 bloggers in the 7th  A to Z Challenge  and will be blogging the whole of April about the ‘ Things around My House’, from A to Z. Today I introduce you to my Key Chain that jingles when I’m around.

Do visit the A to Z Challenge posts on Facebook.

1. Kala Ravi says:

I love how you weave a vivid story through your words Sunita! I do possess one…a wedding gift which I have never used! Yes it does have the ‘malkin’ feel to it! Loved reading this 🙂
    @KalaRavi16 from
    Relax-N-Rave
    Kala Ravi recently posted…Krafty Corners: Reclaim your space!My Profile

2. Archana says:

“… illusion of power.” Nice one!!
    @yenforblue from
    Spice of Life!
    Archana recently posted…K is for Kaempferia rotundaMy Profile

3. seena says:

Oh I love this! My mum in law has one that apparently her mother got as a gift I did not know these are still available. I would love to get one. Thankyou for sharing!
    Cheers,
    Seena
    #AtoZChallenge – K is for Kicks

They are available at the local silversmith stores ….normally in the vegetable market ( at least in Mumbai) Not the big fancy ones. Get one they will soon become rare

4. Shilpa Garg says:

What a lovely key chain. A few of my aunts use to have these and I always liked the tinkling sound they made. Its been ages since I have seen one now. Enjoyed reading this post, Sunita. I am still smiling at the humor! 🙂
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…Kindness #AtoZChallenge @AprilA2ZMy Profile

5. Chicky says:

Hahaha! I remember this one! Silver keychain usually, with lots of jungly-jangly stuff! Perfect warning system for kids, you’re right! 😀
    – Chicky @ http://www.mysteriouskaddu.com
    Chicky recently posted…A to Z of Happiness: E – Explore #atozchallenge @AprilA2ZMy Profile

6. Leanne says:

I love reading little snippets about traditions from other countries (I’m in Australia) and your key story was wonderful 🙂 Leanne @ cresting the hill

Its a lovely keychain. Is it silver? I would love to buy one like this. True power..

Yes it is silver. You can easily get them in the local silversmiths in the vegetable markets of Mumbai

8. Tina Basu says:

beautiful posts you are doing Sunita. That’s a lovely key chain. We have one given by the builder in silver – but its nothing as pretty as this!
    Tina From
    The Sunny Side of Life
    Twinkling Tina Cooks
    Tina Basu recently posted…KIWI, GINGER AND BANANA SMOOTHIE – JAMIE OLIVER INSPIREDMy Profile

9. Maliny Mohan says:

I remember seeing such key chains in old movies. It does have an old-world charm to it. Nice to know that you have treasured it. And it acts as a siren, I guess, from your account of the playful kids:)
    Maliny Mohan recently posted…My Delicious Bait – Mid Week QuestsMy Profile

10. I had never heard this idea before. How cool – for the mischievous kids anyway!
    Jennifer Amerkhanov recently posted…KiloMy Profile

11. Hello,

That pic brought back some memories. i have never possessed the malkin key chain, but my mother used to have one, a work of art actually when I think of it. Thanks for sharing, enjoyed your post.

Best wishes,
    Nilanjana.
    Ninja Minion
    Madly-in-Verse
    Nilanjana Bose recently posted…L is for LucyMy Profile

12. Parul says:

It’s lovely. I love such key chains not for the bossy feeling but for the charm of it. My mum gave me one at my wedding and I have been using it since then. I love it for the feel, the little bells and the shining silver. It makes me feel I own my home. The house may be rented but that home is mine 🙂
    Parul recently posted…M for Marriage and Widowhood #AtoZChallengeMy Profile