On the trail of the perfect egg cup #atozchallenge@AprilAtoZ

E is for egg cup

HoImage for Ew I long for those days when my breakfast consisted of a glass of orange juice, two buttered toasts and a soft boiled egg served in an egg cup. I loved tapping open the egg stirring the just setting white and the runny yolk and eating it with buttered toast. Alas! With fears of E coli and all kinds of health issues, soft boiled eggs became unfashionable and with it , the egg cup.

But eggs are still good for growing children so when the doctor prescribed them to the grandchildren, I began looking for the egg cups. Naturally, there were none to be found, so I had to hunt the shops.

“Egg cups? What’s that?” asked most salesmen who hadn’t even heard of eggs let alone egg cups.

I thought I’d have better luck abroad so when I visited Singapore last year, it was a good excuse for me to hang around and browse in stores selling kitchen and tableware ( my ultimate passion). But here too, I was disappointed as soft boiled eggs and egg cups really seemed to be yesterday’s menu!

I almost abandoned my hunt when I spied some hiding shyly behind the salt cellars and I quickly grabbed a pair. While packing them up, I suddenly felt I should get some more, so I dashed back to the shop the next day. To my surprise, they were all sold out! Image for Egg cup

I wonder if the egg cups in my possession now, are some of the last in the world?

BellyBytes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m participating with over 1000 bloggers in the 7th  A to Z Challenge  and will be blogging the whole of April about the ‘ Things around My House’, from A to Z. My object for today is E for Egg Cup.

Do visit the A to Z Challenge posts on Facebook.

1. Maliny Mohan says:

I hadn’t heard of an egg cup until you mentioned. We normally eat hard-boiled ones at home and needless to say it is one of my favourites. Good that you managed to collect a few, they look nice and cute too!

2. Archana says:

I guess this piece of table ware went out of fashion once breakfast turned into something eaten in a hurry… I dont possess one, but have seen them in a hotel.
    You may be right, those two really be the last few made in this world!!
    😉

@yenforblue from
    Spice of Life!
    Archana recently posted…E is for Euphorbia rothianaMy Profile

3. Kala Ravi says:

Another little interesting nugget of info you got here Sunita. I have seen eggcups in some 5 star resorts, but being a hard-core veggie, never ventured to find out about them. Maybe you could get them online?
    @KalaRavi16 from
    Relax-N-Rave
    Kala Ravi recently posted…Eclectic Interior StyleMy Profile

Well, I didn’t think of online stores – I should remember that when these break. Thanks for the tip!

I was not aware of the egg cup till I saw it when I was in UK. And the folks there felt it was an absolute necessity. They had some very pretty designs. Now I think I should have bought them. This post brings back some good memories.

5. seena says:

Egg cups were a part of my childhood too. My husband was just telling me yesterday how much he missed soft bolied eggs.. And now I feel like having some with buttered toast and orange juice….And sadly, like you mentioned, it had become un-fashionable recently. the last time I noticed my mother was using some of her little steel egg cups as candle stands!!!!
    Great post.
    Seena
    #AtoZChallenge- E is for Eating for two

6. Tina Basu says:

Another old world British legacy! But these days we hardly get time to sit and enjoy breakfast. My eggs are mostly in between the bread slices!!
    Tina from
    The Sunny Side of Life
    Twinkling Tina Cooks
    Tina Basu recently posted…Egg Oats OmeletteMy Profile

7. rajlakshmi says:

Oh I have seen them.They look so cute. I should get one for my dining table 🙂 Even if it’s just for show.

A Whimsical Medley
    Twinkle Eyed Traveller
    rajlakshmi recently posted…Elephant on a Truck #atozchallengeMy Profile

8. Parul says:

I have seen one on TV I guess but never owned one. you may have some antiques at home.
    Parul recently posted…E for Equality of Gender #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

9. I love eggcups and half boiled eggs! Good you found the cups! I hope half boiled becomes fashionable again!
    Inderpreet Kaur Uppal recently posted…Elated #atozchallengeMy Profile

10. G Angela says:

I enjoy boiled egg in sandwiches, my dad was good at making sandwich with bread, butter, boiled egg with a pinch of salt and pepper. I am not aware of the eggcup.. found interesting to hear from you 🙂
    G Angela recently posted…F – Forgive and stop looking at the PastMy Profile