Enhancing my interiors with the magic of rugs#atoz challenge

Why Rugs?

Mumbai with its grime and dust is not the place for pile carpets unless your house is air conditioned. Since my old carpets were looking worn out and tired I decided to replace them with a different floor covering – the Rug .

• Rugs are smaller and can easily be moved around
  • They are easier to clean
  • They are thinner and collect less dust

Image for Kilim Rug There are all kinds of rugs available in the market

• Satranjis – or the bright, thin cotton ones that we are all familiar with to wrap up a bedroll or spread on the lawn for a picnic
  • Traditional woven ones evolved from carpets and drawing on classical designs
  • Tribal rugs from Central Asia ( like the ones above)
  • Silk or woollen rugs
  • Modern rugs woven on machine.

My Kilim Rugs

Of course, my rugs have more humble origins and do not come from Central Asia as most of the Kilims do. Instead, they  made by Abdul Kalam of Mirzapur.

They are stunning and don’t fail to impress everybody with their fine workmanship and colours.

Kilim, is a  pileless textile produced by one of several flatweaving techniques practiced in Central Asia. The designs are geometric and more robust, with a rustic and rugged appeal.

Source

These rugs were sourced from a craft fair by a Hundred Hands. I can’t wait for them to visit my city again so that I can buy some more gorgeous rugs!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<em>Gosh! It's already 18 days since the  <a href="http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/">A to Z Challenge</a>  and to tell you the truth it <strong>has</strong> been quite a challenge. But I'm not giving up yet and today is R for Rugs as part of my theme  ‘ Things around My House’, from A to Z</em>

<em>Do visit the A to Z Challenge <a href="https://www.facebook.com/atozchallenge/?fref=ts">posts on Facebook</a>.</em>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. seena says:

Those Rugs are gorgeous!
    Seena
    #AtoZChallenge – R is for Reflux

2. Esha Dutta says:

Beautiful rugs. Reminds me of some of the rugs that adorned our home when we were children…it was okay as we lived in the hills one couldn’t do without them. Not in the city where we live now. No more rugs now, sadly.

3. rajlakshmi says:

I love rugs… It gives an amazing look to the room. Lovely !!

A Whimsical Medley
    Twinkle Eyed Traveller
    rajlakshmi recently posted…Raising Green Stuffs #atozchallengeMy Profile

4. Geets says:

Sometime back, I was out on Rug hunting! We had to get a rug for our room and we were just not liking anything! Finally, we found the right piece 🙂

Cheers
    Geets recently posted…R- RisquéMy Profile

5. Kala Ravi says:

These rugs are really lovely Sunita. And really make more sense in a place like Mumbai! Do ping me next time the exhibition is on, would like to check them out for myself!
    @KalaRavi16 from
    Relax-N-Rave
    Kala Ravi recently posted…Retro-Chic for your HomeMy Profile

6. Shilpa Garg says:

I love rugs. They change the look of a room in a jiffy! Since, I have an OCD for washing things, so i always preger rugs which are washable and manageable at home. Learnt something new about Kilim Rugs! Thanks for sharing 🙂
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…Resilience #AtoZChallenge @AprilA2ZMy Profile

7. Kalpana says:

Kilims are a hot favourite of mine. Lovely post.
    Kalpana recently posted…Satapada – Seven Villages #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

They’ve become mine too. I always thought they were too rustic for formal living rooms but realised that my house is very informal…..

8. Jessie says:

These rugs are very much awesome to look at. When we lived in the hilly area, we use such kind of awesome rugs. But now I don’t get such kind of attractive rugs to decorate my home. Please inform me how I can get these fashionable rugs.Kilim rugs

9. Elizabeth says:

All of the rugs are so much beautiful to look at. I want to buy such kind of rugs as these are smaller and so easy to carry. I think that it will be easier to clean as these are smaller. I have come to Charm to see all of these rugs.