• Uncategorised
  • 17

O is for the Ostrich egg #atoz challenge

I’m participating with over 1000 bloggers in the 7th  A to Z Challenge  and will be blogging the whole of April about the ‘ Things around My House’, from A to Z. Today is O for Ostrich Egg

Do visit the A to Z Challenge posts on Facebook.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A strange oval object came out of my mother-in-law’s luggage when she re-located from Africa.  It was an Ostrich Egg, quite easily the largest egg I’d ever seen and quite frankly, the ugliest. It’s hard shell with tiny pock marks has got yellow with age over the years .
With my previous experience of eating egg other than a hen’s (we had duck eggs once thinking that they were nice and big hen’s eggs) I was happy that the egg was drained of all its contents and I didn’t have to bother with cooking it.  So I kept it carefully  in the glass case  where we keep all our “show pieces”.

Little known facts about Ostrich eggs

However, there seems to be a market for ostrich eggs and emu eggs ( remember the scam in Ravi Subramanian’s novel Bankerupt? ) especially among those seeking the exotic. However, you should be aware of some facts before you crack the egg open

• an ostrich egg weighs 1.6-2.3 kg
  • a female ostrich  lays 40-60 eggs in a year
  • an ostrich egg takes 42 days to hatch
  • 1 ostrich egg = 24 hen eggs
  • you need a domestic drill to crack it open, not the back of a spoon
  • it takes 90 minutes for a hard boiled ostrich egg
  • it takes 30 minutes for a soft boiled ostrich egg
  • an entire ostrich egg contains 2000 calories
  • ostrich eggs are a good source of Thiamine
  • ostrich eggs have less saturated fats and cholesterol than chicken eggs
  • ostrich eggs don’t contain sodium
  • you can’t buy ostrich eggs in India.Image for BellyBytes

1. Kalpanaa says:

I don’t know whether I would actually eat an ostrich egg whether soft or hard boiled but they definitely make lovely artefacts.

I would never eat an ostrich egg either. I’ve had my fill of trying a duck egg and that was yuck….

2. Woah… that is massive! You could have placed a match box or a regular hen egg to show the difference in size.
    [@samantha_rjsdr] from
    Whimsical Compass

I do not remember seeing Ostrich egg in the museums also. It looks new and shiny in the photo.

4. Kala Ravi says:

That was pretty interesting Sunita! I’ve seen ostrich eggs being cooked on Masterchef Australia and was overwhelmed at the amount of stuff it contained! You have an interesting cornucopia of things in your home!
    @KalaRavi16 from
    Relax-N-Rave
    Kala Ravi recently posted…10 Obsolete Décor Ideas you should AvoidMy Profile

thanks that’s putting it quite politely. Writing about all the things in my home has made me realise that we really do have strange things around…..

5. seena says:

That’s quite amusing. Was just describing the ostrich egg to my kids the other day. I still remember a picture of an ostrich egg sunny side up in a pan. It took up the whole pan. And these facts are really interesting.. my son will quite amused to know you need a drill to crack it. WOW!!!
    Seena
    #AtoZChallenge – O is for Onesie

6. rajlakshmi says:

ohh wow that’s a fabulous collectible. You got some really unique stuffs 🙂

A Whimsical Medley
    Twinkle Eyed Traveller
    rajlakshmi recently posted…Onee-san #atozchallengeMy Profile

7. Parul says:

Wow! you got some very interesting facts out there. This time, when I visited HK, I saw Emu for the first time. I am sure Ostrich must be even bigger.
    Parul recently posted…O for Overweight and Ashamed? #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

Yes it is much bigger perhaps I should have made a photo with the three eggs ( I have an emu egg too)

8. I am usually well read but didn’t know most of the things mentioned here. Thanks for sharing.

#AtoZ I blog at http://www.consumerpsyche.com
    Vamshi Krishna A recently posted…Passion is the keyMy Profile

9. It looks so big. I saw an ostrich but didnt see the egg. I love it!
    The Little Tigress recently posted…Passion is the keyMy Profile