Three little yellow ducks all in a row # atoz challenge

Yellow Ducks in a row

Three little yellow ducks made of plastic are hardly the items one would expect as part of the bathroom decor of a household whose median age is 65. But these yellow ducks perched on the basin are part of my grandchildren’s bathing paraphernalia. It gives me tremendous joy to see them splash about together in the bath tub and lined up, they never fail to remind me that I need to be organised to get things done.

With my “To Do” list getting longer every day, it is important that I plan my days properly, prioritise tasks and delegate jobs , or in other words ‘get my ducks in a row’.

According to the Dictionary of American Slang, this phrase means :

(Variations : have

[or get] one’s ducks all in a row or have [or get] all one’s ducks in a row) Tobe fully prepared; to be organized; DO one’s HOMEWORK : You have fiveyears to get all your ducks in a row/ Want to get all your ducks in a row?Get ChemPlus [1970s+ Army; perhaps fr a mother duck’s marshaling of herducklings in a neat flotilla behind her; perhaps fr some game]

The Dictionary of American Slang, Fourth Edition by Barbara Ann Kipfer, PhD. and Robert L. Chapman, Ph.D.
Copyright (C) 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers.
Cite This Source
No one really knows the origin of the phrase but it could come from the baby ducks who waddle behind their mother in one straight row.

Isn’t this a colourful reminder to get things on track?

I used to have them when my elder son was a kid. I think more than him, I had lot of fun splashing around with the ducks.

Me too! I always think that toys are for adults. My grandchildren love playing with newspapers, plastic bottles, making a beeline for the shoes and of course grabbing things from tables

2. RT says:

Ducks in a row – so important for adults too… thanks Mum for being such a fab grandma!

3. Kavipriya says:

I still love these and buy them <3 🙂

Always keep alive the child in you . Even though my chronological age is two shy of sixty, in my mind I’m still five !

4. Kala Ravi says:

Aww, such a cute post Sunita, I had them too when my kids were small! Wonder where and when they disappeared! Keeing one’s ducks in a line is indeed a tall order, especially when cleaning is the last priority in your to-do list 😉
    One more to go, all the best!
    @KalaRavi16 from
    Relax-N-Rave
    Kala Ravi recently posted…Your Home Your StyleMy Profile

Thanks for your daily visits Kala. It has been very encouraging . I enjoyed your posts throughly this month and look forward to keeping in touch ..

5. seena says:

Great post! I really loved your theme!
    Seena