Z is for zhanzha that tinkle when clanged #a to z challenge

What on earth is a zhanzha?

I admit that this was the toughest one of them all. With very few objects beginning with Z (apart from zipper), there aren’t too many things to write about. So I tweaked this one a bit and came up with Z for Zhanzha which is the Marathi word to describe a small pair of cymbals.

This particular pair is made of brass and is commonly found in shops outside many Hindu  temples. Holding one in each hand, they are clanged together to the beat of the hymns and  make a pleasant tinkling sound.  I bought this one specially for my little grandson from a visit to the temple town of Pandharpur, both as a keepsake and as a toy for the little fellow.

For a while, he actually played with them, enjoying their tinkling sound. Then one day, he discovered they made a louder sound and evoked more of a response from us adults when he flung them around!

Needless to say, I’ve kept them away from his reach since then and only bring them out at Ganpati time when he bangs them together and joins in as we say our prayers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With this last post, the A to Z Challenge is finally over. I hope you’ve enjoyed these posts of ‘Things around my house” and thanks for visiting.

My family is pleased to have me back from the land of A to Zers and will happily clang these Zhanzha to welcome me back!

1. Shelly says:

What a great month it’s been! I have enjoyed visiting your site during the challenge but I’m happy April is done! This was my first year doing the challenge and while I didn’t find it hard, I did feel like I HAD to make a post every day even when I was busy. I’m looking forward to May and posting when I want to. 😀
    Shelly recently posted…Yellowstone National Park PicturesMy Profile

2. ATCAD says:

Thanks for telling me about zhanzha. My Z post is up https://atcad.blogspot.com/2016/04/zany-atozchallenge-caturday-art.html

3. Esha Dutta says:

Congratulations and well done with completing the A-Z Challenge! I think you had an awesome theme and how beautifully you’ve used everyday items as the subject of your posts throughout the challenge! Can imagine how relieved your family must be…Mine is happily welcoming me back into the fold as I wrap up this series and look forward to getting my life back 🙂

I couldn’t agree more! I’m really glad to hear your words of appreciation about my theme …. When I discussed it with some of my friends they thought it was pretty Ho hum …

4. Kala Ravi says:

That was such a cute way to end the series Sunita! Congrats on successfully completing the series! I loved your breezy posts that kept the mood pepped and happy! It was an unusual topic but you brought so much interest and magic to them with your lovely words. Well done dear and it was a real pleasure connecting with you all through this month!
    Kala Ravi recently posted…Zzz Your Bed of DreamsMy Profile

Thanks Kala. Your words of appreciation mean a lot to me. I too enjoyed ‘meeting’ all of you and hope to remain connected.

5. seena says:

Great post, as always. Really enjoyed your home tour.. 🙂
    Glad to have found your blog and get your perspective.. 🙂
    Seena
    #AtoZChallenge – Z is for Zzzzz

Thanks! The feeling is mutual. I am redesigning my blog and amalgamating all my blogs into one. I’ve also now figured out my target audience and will be posting relevant content. This was a great exercise in discovery

6. A true Zanza post and enjoyed whatever I’ve read. Missed some as well.

Vishal Bheeroo recently posted…A2Z Challenge: ZindaMy Profile

Thanks Vishal for your support this month. I know it’s tough reading all the posts by everyone everyday 🙂

7. shubhangi says:

Oh yea, I have seen this one! Congrats on completing the challenge..it was nice to see little snippets from your home!
    shubhangi recently posted…Z for Zero!My Profile

8. rajlakshmi says:

hahaha he sure is pretty smart 😀 Beautiful!!

A Whimsical Medley