A time to sew and a time to rip#MondayMusings

The tools of a tailor

Ripping time

I’ve always been fond of sewing as far as I can remember and used to love making little garments for my little dollies as a little girl.  In school, needlework was compulsory and as an 8 year old, we had to make a pleated skirt, a smocked nightdress  and I can’t remember the third garment…perhaps it was embroidered table mats? At that time I hated it especially since most of the time all we did was rip what we had done. Our needlework teacher who doubled up as the Gym teacher insisted that the front and back had to be indistinguishable with even stitches, no loose threads and no ugly knots.

Sewing time

But all that ripping came in handy when it was time to sew. During University, I joined a tailoring class Kathryn’s at Kemp’s Corner, run by two crusty, old Parsi women who were equally ruthless with untidy work but  at least now I had a sewing machine. Several garments later, I became a fairly competent seamstress and enjoyed stitching ‘home’ clothes for my daughters especially at a sewing class where I met other young mothers.

However, as the girls developed their own sartorial preferences, I stopped stitching for them and was left to doing the odd seam here and there, a loose button or an undone hem. At best I made my own sari petticoats till I found it cheaper and more convenient to go pret. My sewing machine which I had bought with such enthusiasm still looks at me accusingly and from time to time I got it serviced to assuage my guilt of having abandoned a hobby that had given me such joy.

Today, it seemed, the time had come for me to stretch my sewing muscle and I cut a ready made garment to size ( I’m too short for the Large but too fat for the Small) and turned it in with a neat hem, revisiting  a hobby that was pure nostalgia.

Is there a hobby that you miss?

I’m linking this post to #MondayMusings hosted by Corinne  on her inspiring blog , everydaygyaan.com

1. RT says:

You still have the strawberry pincushion I sewed for you from Class 4!!!! So cute. Nice post – I actually find sewing very meditative. In this digital age, forcing yourself to focus on stitching in a straight line is so so therapeutic. And you create something beautiful. Its like using a different set of mental muscles from the constant digesting an online communication or texting one back!

I completely agree with you and am glad you finally appreciate the merit of needlework. And of course I have the pincushion as I have so many other hand made things.

2. Nimi Arora says:

I miss reading as much as I used to. That was the one hobby I ever had.
    But yes, I do regret (a little) that I didn’t learn sewing properly when my mom (tried to) push me to do so.

Anyway I love what you have done to sow and reap…

–Nimi

Thanks for stopping by . You can always learn sewing now and as for reading . I miss it too…

3. Frances says:

ahhhhh, this reminded me of my grandmother, the town seamstress back in the day. She did so for a piece change for spending money. Sewing is that talent I wish I had picked up long ago.

Please do go back and pick it up.

Thanks for sharing!

Frances

4. Plenty of them actually for the paucity of time…blaming it on official commitments or simply being lazy, don’t know. But it felt great to see your re-kindling the passion. All the best 🙂
    Manish Purohit recently posted…Book Review: Wings of Fire by A.P.J. Abdul KalamMy Profile

Thanks for your encouragement . It’s a shame how we have to give up our hobbies to make time for the ‘real’ world . Perhaps one day you too will find the time for your honbies

5. Tamara says:

I only know the simple chain stitch for crochet and I mistakenly undertook making blankets for all three grandchildren… Those had started off as baby blankets for the twins who are now 8 years old. I had to enlarge those for the bigger beds they had graduated to after their baby beds and once the youngest was born she of course needed a blanket too!

I’m still working on enlarging the blankets after three and a half years of living with them!

I haven’t worked on them all the time and now that my time with them is drawing to a close I’m trying to work on them feverishly!

Those became huge and long term projects which had sat staring at me during the many weka and months I was writing my books!

I guess there’s a time and a season for everything right?

Peace,
    Tamara
    Tamara recently posted…Accepting and Embracing the Depressed Side of OurselvesMy Profile

Goodness! I can totally relate to that… Unfinished projects that outgrow their use. There is indeed a time and place for everything. I could never do crochet and have abandoned many a blouse to be worn while in college ! But I have a crocheted bed cover done by my own grandmother and now it covers my daughters piano

6. You sure are a lady of many talents, Sunita. I have the same challenges as you clothes-wise but sadly don’t sew, though I do love knitting and embroidery.
    Corinne Rodrigues recently posted…Lessons From The Day #MondayMusingsMy Profile

Embroidery is something that drives me crazy but I do like to knit and get stares from everyone for knitting in Mumbai!

7. Sewing, stiching, embroidery, cooking were never my cup of tea. I was hopeless at the first 3 which I was required to do in SUPW class at the convent I attended in the first years of my school life, always got ‘E’ grade in the tests. My mother never pushed me into these and kept me away for the sake of my poor eye-sight. Her theory was also if I got too much involved in these works, I would not study hard. She was an expert at stiching and knitting but she was not proud of herself for these skills. She repented not getting the education after 12th.
    Anamika Agnihotri recently posted…Happiness is gifting books #MondayMusingsMy Profile

Well if it makes you feel better my daughter’s class mate interpreted grades as follows F fantastic E excellent D disgraceful C careless B bad A awful and he always felt sorry that she always got a A . And of course there’s no alternative to education so I’m with your mom!

8. That’s lovely that you pursuing your hobby. I still remember the sewing machine as a child and remember being fascinated by it when I visited an aunty place along with mom. Mom was knitting bed and table covers with her hand since we couldn’t afford the sewing machine. But was lovely to see her trick of the hand doing it.
    Vishal Bheeroo recently posted…Book Review: Hinduism beyond Rituals, Customs and TraditionsMy Profile

I wonder how many children of the next generation will remember seeing sewing machines at home. They probably will think clothes were made in a shop the same way as milk comes from bottles!

9. seena says:

Oh Belly bytes, I am so glad I found your blog via A to Z. I fall in love again as I read your posts.. 😀 You bring the extra to the ordinary!! Don’t stop sewing!! I think all kids should learn to sew. Its better than learning history dates. 😛

That I agree… With tailors a dying breed and clothes so expensive it would be handy to know at least how to stitch a button! And thanks for your kind words …makes me feel good about myself 😉

10. Truly Happy says:

As usual this post made me happy.
    This post reminded me of my Mum using her sewing skills very enthusiastically to make little skirts and vests for him. Those days I did not appreciate them so much and whinged about wanting brand new ones but today I wish my Mum stitched something for me but she no longer pursues this hobby of sewing :(.

You are so talented. Great to know you through your blog.

11. Parul says:

As a teenager, I used to try my hands at embroidery and knitting. While knitting was not so interesting, I have done two sarees for my Mum, many cushions and bolster covers. Making roses out of needle work and mirror work was my favourite. Not sure if I can do all that again.
    Parul recently posted…Wordless Wednesday #35My Profile

Wow! That’s great -embroidered saris require a lot of patience and neatness . I admire anyone who can embroider . I’m sure one day you will dabble in it again.

12. Truly Happy says:

My comment on this post isn’t visible. Are you yet to publish it or have you not received it? Just checking to make sure it isnt in your spam

You are quite right! Thanks for bringing my this to my notice. I don’t know whether I received it and pressed delete by mistake instead of reply. If I remember right , you had written about your mom making you vests and how you miss not stitching yourself.
      I’m really sorry if I’ve deleted your message …I will check what the problem is when the get back on the desk top. These tiny spaces on a touch phone make working with fat fingers quite complicated!