Making time to exercise #FridayReflections

What me exercise?

I think when God was giving out the exercise gene, I must have stepped out of the queue to stare at the icecream man walking by. Indeed , for me to even exercise anything apart from my mandibles is a Herculean task. Alas! God didn’t endow me with a slim and sexy body, I have to not only watch what I eat but watch how I move . And as I get older , I realise that I have to be more particular about exercise if only to remain healthy and fit . Luckily for me, my classmates have a Whatsapp group and send cheery messages like this

Tip 1 :

Get on to a what’s app group of peers who remind you to exercise early in the morning. There’s nothing like motivational messages like this with news about classmates who are sick, dead or dying that make you leap out of bed and into your running shoes .

Tip 2 :

Good exercise gear. Apart from exercising my mandibles, I also like to stretch other muscles and my favourite form of exercise is walking . There’s nothing like a brisk walk in the open air , be it a park, the sea side, a busy road or even in the building premises. What really gets me in the mood , though, is a nice set of tracks and Ts. A good pair of walking shoes, trendy exercise clothes are a great reason for me to move my butt.

Tip 3 : Set Short term realistic goals . If I know I have a wedding to attend, a school reunion or even a holiday in the near future, I immediately set myself a target of getting into shape with small achievable targets. Losing 2 kg is far easier than losing 20 ( which is my actual target) and the thought of being 2 kg lighter for an approaching event motivates me to exercise .

Tip 4 : The spectre of ill health.

Apart from looking good , exercise is essential for one’s well being. Not only do I enjoy an exercise high but seeing some of the older residents of our building walking with assistance or in wheelchairs simply because of poor health due to lack of exercise, spurs me on to get up early and or find some time in the day to make time to exercise.

Tip 5 : Visualisation

Finally what really motivates me to exercise is the vision of me healthy, strong and walking on the beach with my grandchildren, attending their graduation ceremonies and maybe even dancing at their weddings .

I try to exercise at least three times a week. Most times it is a gentle walk while I do errands or a definite 40 minute yoga program. Once in a while I join Hubby Dear for a long walk by the sea but I can assure you that if I had no motivation, I probably would have just lazed around in bed all day long.

What motivates you to exercise?

Linking this up with #FridayReflections  hosted by Corinne and Sanch Vee.

1. In the Tip 1, I was wondering what motivational tips the WhatsApp group members must be forwarding to kick off the people reading those out of their laziness. And, Hey Bhagwaan, what informational tips they are!
    Anamika Agnihotri recently posted…Who makes light bulbs? #MondayMusingsMy Profile

Most of the messages are about growing old and enjoying old age…. Naturally that makes me want to go out and be able to jump like a 5 year old. Thanks for your words of appreciation

2. Dashy says:

Short term goals really help. I’d done situps for months prior to my farewell party :p …and now with the holidays I’m back to no-exercise days again, need to get back on track. Great tips out there. 🙂
    Dashy recently posted…To Magic, with loveMy Profile

3. Truly Happy says:

Walking is my favourite form of exercise. It has done wonders to a ‘heavy’ me after my pregnancy.

My key motivation to lose weight is my sister in law. No, she doesnt encourage me to exercise or send me motivational messages but she does a lot of exercise, zumba, yoga etc for herself and is in great shape. Obviously, I am envious of her great looks and try and maintain my looks :-).

Then there are the family functions and other events which motivate me to lose weight so as to look slim and fit into beautiful clothes

We do need someone or something to spur us into action . I envy those people who do things regularly rather than in fits and starts the way I do.

4. Walking, a great exercise was enjoined in our ways of lives, but not any more. So we have to induce it artificially, what we call, exercise. It also helps us to have time out. In this winter, I’m not able to do it regularly. Great tips from you.

Yes so much ‘exercise’ which was part of our daily household chores have been replaced as you said by special exercises but I’d rather do those than housework!

5. rajlakshmi says:

the shorter goal point is brilliant. I too follow that and have realised that it helps me achieve my goals faster. As for tip 2 I spend more time looking for exercise clothes rather than exercises 😛
    rajlakshmi recently posted…My Yoga TransformationsMy Profile

6. Sandy Mangis says:

Exercise is very important. As I get older I feel it more. Keeping up and not getting down on yourself. Staying fit while you are young makes a big difference. Keep it up.

Thanks for your words of encouragement . I just returned from a trip where I had to buy a ticket as a Senior Citizen!

7. Short term goals are certainly helpful as are realistic ones. What helps me I find is accountability. If I tell someone I’m going to go to the gym x number of times, I’m more likely to do it! I aim for at least 5 days of working out — that includes cardio, weights, pilates and yoga. I’ve been a bit slack this year thanks to all the other shit in my life but I’m trying to get back at the moment.
    Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life recently posted…Saving the best for lastMy Profile

8. Great tips, Sunita. I like the tip about short term goals. I’m going to try it. Thanks!
    Corinne Rodrigues recently posted…Taking A Deep Breath Of Life #MondayMusingsMy Profile

9. Parul Thakur says:

Growing up I was never interested in sports. I haven’t played one I can remember.
    But late in my twenties, I started regular physical activities including cycling, long walks, yoga and that helped me stay healthy. I am still overweight but at the end of a long day I am not tired. I feel the energy within that I think comes from the hour that I spend in the morning. I wish I could walk by the sea shore and then it would have been awesome.
    Keep up with your health goals.
    Parul Thakur recently posted…I remember..My Profile

I too wasn’t very athletic though I had the ability so I understand where you come from . Exercise is important more to keep healthy rather than look good so you’re on the right track ! By the way my sea shore walks are on Marine drive which is as crowded as they come !