Why my jobs are never done #MondayMusings

The never ending list of “jobs to be done”

Yet another Monday and yet another week. After a reasonably relaxed Sunday ( if you count washing bathrooms and cleaning cupboards relaxing!)  I woke up refreshed to seize the day and seize  my “to do list”  that seems to be growing longer by the day. There were so many jobs to be done, so many jobs to be completed and so many jobs to begin doing. I often feel that I will go through life and still have an endless lists of jobs that are still to be done. Does this mean that I am biting more than I can chew? Does this mean that I am highly inefficient or over ambitious? Or does this mean that I am incapable of doing half the things I want to do?  Pondering over these questions and wondering which of the jobs to start off with, I came across this message in my Twitter feed. Voila! I had the answer thanks to Erica Jong who put it so succinctly.

The root cause

Falling back on Freud and his psychology, obviously everything can be traced back to one’s childhood and beyond. Growing up in a a non digital age when TVs and phones did not exist,  in my home, we were encouraged to take up hobbies. During holidays which came twice a year, we were motivated to  engage in worthwhile projects. Of course we were allowed to choose what we wanted to do and the first day of the holiday we got all the material together. Depending on my interest at that time, I did a photography project one year where I used my box camera to record our holiday, another year I made cross stitch embroidered table mats, one year  I pressed flowers from neighbourhood gardens and made a detailed album with the botanical name of each specimen. But with each passing year as my interests became more and more complex and the projects more and more ambitious, there soon grew a pile of unfinished projects that my mother still has,  kept away somewhere in a bundle, in the hope that at least my children will finish them.

Similarly, after I got married I continued with my stitching and knitting and painting and photography and kept stuffing things in the cupboard – dresses that just needed to be hemmed, quilts that needed to be finished, stamp albums that need to be re-organised, books that need to be kept in some order, photos that needed to be sorted and  kept in albums , and even now –  a BLOG that still needs to be organised.

This feeling of inadequacy is enhanced when I see people showcasing their own projects and people  oohing and aahing over their talents.

[ctt title=”When will I be able to show off my projects too? ” tweet=”When will I be able to show off my projects too? ” coverup=”_Ib45″]

But now, thanks to Erica Jong and her timely quote, I can tell my mom to clear out her attic and rid my own cupboards of the unfinished projects.

[ctt tweet=”After all, some projects are just never meant to be finished isn’t it? ” coverup=”5X3fw”]

These are my Monday morning thoughts that I’m linking up with #MondayMusings hosted by Corinne of Write Tribe

I too have many such projects which started on a high note and then there was not enough time. But the quote seems ver apt for me too.

Glad to know that I’m not the only fish swimming in the sea….

• safar says:

Haha, I know that feeling only too well. I like the Erica Jong quote. I think we emphasise the need for the accomplishment, or the qualification, the end product-perfect as if it displays our worth. However, the important part is the process of growth in the doing of it. Sometimes you don’t need to finish as you’ve learned what you’ve needed to already.
        safar recently posted…BremainMy Profile

Oh that’s a great perspective …. I never thought of the journey being more satisfying than the destination …

2. Alana says:

You sound just like me! I would say “beware”: ten years from now, those projects may still be there, unfinished, if you continue to blog. (Speaking from experience.)
    Alana recently posted…Is The Pen Still Mighty?My Profile

3. pins & ashes says:

Story of my life too.. When it gets done at one go, it gets done, once it is kept down, and then later out of sight.. the projects sits with dust! Clearing put is so painful! but some things have to go, what to do (may be to take up later)
    pins & ashes recently posted…do you have a studious side 😉My Profile

4. Truly Happy says:

So nice to hear about your hobbies/passion. You are truly multi- talented.
    I would say if it’s possible ask your mum to keep your unfinished projects. Perhaps someday your grandchildren will want to continue them?I remember at age 8 we had to make a periscope for school science project which my brother and I made with the help of our granddad who used to collect glasses and mirrors and make decorative items with them for hobby. He had tools to cut mirrors in different shapes and so he helped us make a periscope which won a prize at the school. But more than the prize its our grandad’s involvement and his passion and the fun we had together in the making of the periscope is what mattered most to me and my brother. So who knows, your precious grandchildren could work on your unfinished projects someday?

As you mentioned organising your blog, may I please suggest that you add an archives widget on your blog? I have read your previous posts hopping from one to another based on what the ‘related posts’ widget show me. It would help to read posts in an order if there was an active widget. Just a suggestion. Feel free to ignore. I will read your posts anyway :).

And yes, some projects are meant to be unfinished only to revisit them at a later stage to feel all that thrill and excitement over again as you did when you first started the project.

Lovely post for my otherwise dull rainy Monday.

Cheers
    Truly Happy

• Truly Happy says:

Dear Bellybytes, yet again my comment has gone missing. Did u receive it or is it in your spam?

Sorry for the tardy reply but I did reply now. Wow! My grandchildren finishing my projects! That’s quite a proposition. But my mom did just hand over my doll to my grand daughter with the hope that she’ll play with it .

Dear Truly Happy sorry for not acknowledging this post yesterday but I was terribly tied up to reply. Yes I will make an archive . In fact I should reorganise everything completely even deleting posts that have no relevance now. Last year when I paid someone to redo my blog I thought she’d organise things but she just effected a flat import . I should have then stopped writing a bit an relaunched the revamped blog as a perfect piece but didn’t want to lose out on readership…. So I’m behind this bit hope to sort that out soon. Thanks for the feedback . I always need someone to point out where I’m going wrong 🙂

5. You are right, the inventory of the ‘To Do List’ is something which (for some strange reasons) never gets over. Blame it on the paucity of time or to our utter laziness or any XYZ factor, the fact remains that whenever, I attempt to inventorize the tasks…some of the older one seem to deride at me. Could surely related to the post 🙂
    Manish Purohit recently posted…Diwan-e-Ghalib (1) ~ Naqsh Faryadi. . .My Profile

6. Dashy says:

Procrastination is such a common, age old ailment. Our own cupboard of to-do things is so jam-packed that I think we might need a new one to store the things yet to come. Loved the quote, I hadn’t ever thought of procrastination that way before. To me all along it was simply synonymous to laziness.
    Dashy recently posted…I Too Have A Blog StoryMy Profile

7. Lady Fi says:

One thing about finishing projects though is that wonderful sense of achievement…
    Lady Fi recently posted…Foal playMy Profile

8. Parul says:

I know what you mean. I have been a bit okay on that cos I don’t take on a lot of things cos of my laziness to admit 😉
    But yes – if it really comes to writing it down I need to be coached 😀
    Parul recently posted…Two Girls In My NeighborhoodMy Profile

9. Gosh, I don’t want to start on the many things that I started and shoved aside hoping to finish them…there just never seems to be enough time.