Good Intentions? #Guest Post 2

I had begun this series of #GuestPosts to bring variety to my content. Originally scheduled for the first of every month, this post was pushed to the 2nd because 1st July was already crowded with #SkywatchFriday, #FridayReflections and the #TheDailyPost . Besides,  a blogger of repute like Corinne deserves a special day.  I am honoured and pleased to present a guest post by Corinne who really needs no introduction.  But for those who don’t know her, it’s time you did.

I met Corinne very briefly in Mumbai  but ‘meet’ her every day in the blogosphere.  Today she has become a real friend .

A friend in need is a friend indeed but sometimes, as Corinne reminds us, good intentions don’t always turn out the way they were meant to be.

Thanks Corinne for reaching out to friend and sharing your thoughts with us.

Good Intentions?

Lately, I’ve been thinking on whether a person or a group having good intentions is enough, especially when those good intentions don’t always have good consequences. Remember, that saying, ‘the road to hell is paved with good intentions’?

One classic example of a good intention gone wrong was when Asian carp was introduced into American waters to keep them clean. What was not anticipated is that these fish are so aggressive that they began to feed upon the native fish species, threatened the ecosystem and grew so big that they jumped up in the waters causing boating accidents!

Let’s think about something that happens to us almost on a daily basis in India. We stop at a traffic signal and a child or children might approach us for money. Their eyes and their bedraggled look is enough to make us feel guilty about sitting in the comfort of our car, while they have to beg for food. We want to help – a good intention. So we whip out some money and hand it over to them. What often happens is that the kids have to turn this money over to their ‘boss’ – part of a begging mafia. Have we helped the child or perpetuated a crime? Have we eased that kid’s hunger or our own guilt?

I think the best solution is not to give the child anything in a situation like this. I’ve found the best way is to take the child to a nearest eatery, buy her something to eat and make sure she eats it. I know that this is not always possible and it’s a short term solution, but it somehow seems a better idea to me. And of course, while you are doing that engage the child in talk. Make him or her feel like you are interested in them. I know a friend who has used this method several times to get the children into a shelter and finally into school.

Coming to our day to day lives, do you go through a phase when most of your good intentions don’t get converted into action. Is there a ‘good intention heaven’, I wonder – a place where all our good intentions go after they die? If there is one, it surely must be full of mine.

For the last few days I’ve been meaning to do a host of things – write every day, walk every day, start art journaling again.. make some calls…! Then there are blogging goals  to be met and books reviews   to write. The list goes on. I’ve had a lot of good intentions, but, I can’t seem to get off my but(t)s!

I have tried various methods to shake off these  bouts of lethargy but they didn’t seem to work. I’ve found there’s only one way to do it – don’t have regrets about what you haven’t done, but take one intention at a time and work on it.

Corinne writes at Everyday Gyaan , reviews books at  CorinneRodrigues.com and encourages writers and bloggers at Write Tribe . Connect with her on Facebook  and Twitter

1. Dashy says:

The fact about feeding the unfortunate kids is definitely better than offering money. How true, our good intentions may not have good consequences. We must take care that atleast our actions have good results. This is some great food for thought.
    Dashy recently posted…To Magic, with loveMy Profile

2. Tina Basu says:

Lethargy and me are souls sisters I guess. I have been keeping these good intentions of being more active with my blog and promoting the posts for the longest time, i have to push myself almost!

Now as I write this comment there are some more interesting intentions popping up in my head! But right now going to dig into some ice cream. Best intention currently! 😉
    Tina Basu recently posted…No Bake Mango CheesecakeMy Profile

3. I loved this post. I think your solution to begging is a good one–we simply can’t do nothing if we have a heart, but that something is probably the wisest course of action. Although, well, it’s tough. I know that, myself. As far as lethargy goes, I fall victim to it, as well. There is always a balance between too much activity and not enough. I never seem to get there, though.
    Carol Cassara recently posted…The day’s giftsMy Profile

4. I like the principle of feeding a begging child at least that way you know that they’ve eaten something because it’s just so sad to learn that a mafia exploits them for money. All the best with the stuff that you need to get done.
    I would like to invite you to my online blog party going on right now. The link is titled, Let’s cook up a party. Hope you can drop in and connect with other bloggers. Regards

Thanks for stopping by. I’m travelling next week and will try and drop by your online party! Have fun with it.

5. Esha M Dutta says:

I know how sad those kids are, the ones with the begging bowl who stare at you with pleading eyes! Honestly, I’d love to but often can’t do what I’d really do – offer them food instead. But, I definitely do not put money into their hands knowing it won’t reach them! So often the good intentions do not get translated into action. I quite agree with the notion of the ‘good intention heaven’! Applies to me surely, with loads of ideas that die a silent death everyday! Lately though, I have started on a different note. I think ‘one at a time’ as a mantra works better for me now. I only bite into what I can chew possibly and just one goal a day seems easy. Been a week I’m following that, so fingers crossed! I’m hoping that I have something good to share at the end of the month ?

6. Alana says:

The offer to feed, or bring to a shelter is a good one for many reasons. What I’ve found, in my experience (sadly), with panhandlers in the city where I work is that you very quickly find out who the ones just trying to make money vs true need are. I once was asked for bus fare and handed the person a pass that would have been good for one fare. You should have seen the look on her face, and it wasn’t gratitude. It’s sad. My heart has been hardened over the years, and I will not give to them. At all.
    Alana recently posted…Local Saturday – Are You Local?My Profile

I too had an experience when I gave. Little beggar boy a burger and he gave it to someone else saying he was a vegetarian ! Incidentally my burger was a vegetarian burger …..

• Oh I’ve seen that with children too, Alana. The same children seen at different crossroads begging for a fare home. But offer to put them on the bus and they’re not happy. It’s so hard to make a good call about these things, isn’t it?
      Corinne Rodrigues recently posted…Be Careful Of Books #FTSF #FridayReflectionsMy Profile

7. rajlakshmi says:

they must have a hard time handling the Asian carp incident. I like your solution for beggars – feeding them is so much better than giving money. Taking one initiative at a time does help in getting things done, but being a Geminian I am terrible at it 🙂 Loved reading the post Corrine
    rajlakshmi recently posted…My Yoga TransformationsMy Profile

8. It really is dampening to the spirit when the good intentions we conceive in our brains never come to fruition. But maybe that’s because there is some flaws that we need to rectify before we start working on them? Maybe our good intentions would harm someone else, and we would be completely oblivious to this?
    Of course, when it comes to the good intention of writing a blog post, one needs to hurry along and publish a good write up. Who knows, your words may brighten up someone else’s life? ?
    Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710 recently posted…And it’s a brand new day!My Profile

Have they brightened yours? Glad to see you back and good luck for this next year of college

9. Parul says:

With children, I do the same. Our good intent feeds someone else. Good to see Corinne here, Sunita. So good of you to her here. That quote is gold 🙂
    Parul recently posted…The first time..My Profile

10. Truly Happy says:

Yes not always good intentions go as well as we expect them to go.
    Thats a great idea to feed those unfortunate kids that we see at the traffic light. I often used to ignore them only because I know in the past I have given them money only to find them saving it and continue to beg. I realized much later they hand over the money to their boss..how sad. Next time i am going to give them something to eat.

Good luck with all your plans. I hope you achieve them as well as you want them to be or even better.

1. July 2, 2016

[…] read the rest of this post, please go to Sunita Rajwade’s blog ‘Mumbai On High‘ where I’m so happy to be guest posting […]