Making Rainbows Day2 FTOW #5

Have you ever seen a rainbow on the books by your bedside?

A rainbow in my bedroom

It was a very wet weekend and the babies were sniffling away. The mood inside was as  grey as it was outside. Suddenly Wow Dinga shouted out ” Look Abu I’ve made a rainbow! ” His enthusiasm was contagious and we ran inside, partly out of curiosity and also apprehension. What rainbow did he make in our bedroom?

And there he was, his brown eyes twinkling with excitement as he showed us the rainbow he had made with  the PostIts that he had stuck randomly over Abu’s books!

Making rainbows

Over the last few months we’ve got used to such summons because as Wow Dinga grows, so does his imagination.

One afternoon when he spied some smoke coming from a building across the road , he brought out all his fire engines and sounded their sirens ( nee naw nee naw nee naw) as he called us to watch as he put out the fire. Till the smoke from the burning leaves dissipated, we had to witness him hiss at the smoke while his imaginary water pipe helped extinguish the flames.

[stextbox id=”grey” mode=”css” direction=”ltr” shadow=”false”]When was the last time you made a rainbow? When was the last time you let your imagination run wild? When was the last time you played make believe? When was the last time you indulged your inner child? [/stextbox]

I’m linking up with Write Tribe’s Festival of Words

1. RT says:

OMG love it… Little P/Wow Dinga’s enthusiasm is infectious. He’s so lucky to have grandparents that encourage him to dream and think… away from iPads.

Ha ha . I try to keep him away from it but he is born in a different time. I’m lucky he still likes books

2. C.TdeF says:

We should all use our imagination more. Rainbows are for everyday!
    C.TdeF recently posted…TamalesMy Profile

3. Kala Ravi says:

Adorable little Wow Dinga and even more adoring grandparents! Ain’t this the sweetest wonder years, my babies grew up too fast!
    Kala Ravi recently posted…Bill please – Boss playMy Profile

Well there’s time again to enjoy babyhood without the stress – your time will come although it is a long long way away now…..

4. This rainbow I would have everyday in my life…..:)
    Sunaina Bhatia recently posted…Enduring Oak…My Profile

5. Dashy says:

So sweet. It’s lovely to play games of make believe with kids, it’s so much fun! Wow Dinga’s enthusiasm and imagination is sure to kindle everybody else’s enthusiasm in the home too. 😀
    Dashy recently posted…The School Boy – 2 of #Seven AgesMy Profile

6. I just made a rainbow in my blog post yesterday 😛 Just kidding
    I remember making rainbows with those Faber Castellani connector sketch pens. And they had to go back in the same colour and design always. The fluorescent and skin colour and black sketch pen went in last!
    goes to search for sketch pens 😀

7. I was asked ‘When was the last time you made a rainbow? When was the last time you let your imagination run wild? When was the last time you played make believe? When was the last time you indulged your inner child?
    Gosh I was just waiting for someone , just anyone to ask me that !!!
    The minute I heard my grand daughter said ‘ Daadi my teddy bear is not well’ .. I knew it was time to let out that lil frozen child in me . And what followed was magical as we journeyed through a homeroom in day care, a doctors office , kitchen , a shopping trip complete with a list and real pennies , a visit to an ice cream store , planning a party, a stage show with tickets , we are cabin crew on Rainbow airways because we fly over rainbows and land where it ends to find treasures ! The role play never ends .
    We taped plotter roll on the floor , dipped our feet in paint .. foot prints , hand prints , bubble wrap , sponge and crushed newspaper and used this to make rainbows , flags ,customised gift wrapping paper and more !
    Pretend play took on a new meaning as I realised how it helped to build vocabulary, encouraged conversation and look learning to another level .
    I am in a happy place …a grey hair grandma … yet I have the luxury to be who I want to be with my grand daughter ! Life is beautiful !
    Come join us …for vanilla ice cream with rainbow sprinkles … this is for real !
    Venue : Uhlman’s Ice Cream
    228 E main street
    Westborough MA
    01581
    Time: now !
    Loved your post ! It brough a flood of fond memories ! Rainbows have a special place in my heart ! Lil Dinga loads of love to you !
    Arundathi shiggaon recently posted…Blogging U. for Photography: Developing Your EyeMy Profile

That was a remarkable story in Rainbow land . I loved it . I’m lucky to have such close interaction with my grandchildren . As a mother of two girls I didn’t know what it was like bringing up boys but now with two of them I’m learning the ropes . And now with a grand daughter I can enjoy even more.