Shopaholics in Mumbai

This week has been very wet and I decided to give some of my old posts some extra love taking a cue from Corinne. My posts on shopping in Mumbai have generated the most footfalls. It was time for my readers who found them interesting to get an update.

In this post, I’ve tried to amalgamate what I’ve learnt over the past few months. I re-organised my old posts, re-tagged them, put sub headings and made them more readable.

I do hope you visit them and show them some love by sharing.

Mumbai is for Shopaholics

Not many people will find Mumbai a shopper’s paradise. Especially those who like clean. Those who like organised. Those who like calm.

But for those of you who like chaos, crowds, disorder, noise and the hustle bustle of humanity, Mumbai is truly the oldest shopping mall in the world. Shopping in Mumbai can be fun as much as it is maddening and I’d like to share with you my favourite shopping grounds. Undoubtedly, the Kalbadevi-Pydhonie-Crawford Market -Lohar Chawl Area  tops the list.  It has everything you could ask for right from a glass bead to a shower fitting , all under one sky.  This  wholesale market  is throbbing with customers from all over the country, sourcing products for retail trade back home

Specialised markets and specialised lanes

Much like the aisles of a shop, each road with its narrow side lanes  specialise in a single product/category . Thieves Market is dedicated to bric-a brac, old cars and antiques.

At the Copper Market, kitchen utensils are sold by the kilo.

The Municipal Market still sells vegetable and fruit though it is slowly changing its profile to groceries and other household goods including baby wipes and pampers!

My favourite remains Mulji Jetha Market where yards of fabric are sold at wholesale rates . This is the best place to hunt for fabric for a bespoke trousseau. The side lane off Jhaveri Bazar  dedicated to laces and the other to buttons and beads.

Jhaveri Bazar is home to many high end jewellers , though bigger names  are now making way for wholesalers of costume jewellery, thanks to the two terrorist attacks it has faced in the recent past.

Equally fascinating is the Plastic market for containers and furniture.

Shopping Tips

• Avoid entering a shop at opening time unless you are a genuine buyer. Shopkeepers are superstitious about the first sale and are reluctant to serve window shoppers.
  • Most shop keepers discourage bargaining.
  • Avoid being lured by ‘touts’ into visiting shops you don’t want to visit. They can pester you and become a nuisance.
  • Most shops open by 11
  • Don’t be fooled by the shopkeeper’s offers of tea/cold drink . If he waves out to an assistant waving his hand in a victory sign, he is actually telling him NOT to get it!

1. Beautiful read ! Shopping in Mumbai is the best in retail therapy ! The bustling markets , the street food and its vibrant people are incomprable . In the night markets of Marrakesh, the chaos in Crawford market or the crowds in vegetable mandi in Sallapur … for me the magic of browsing for good or fresh produce will never dim ! Confessions of a shopoholic !
    Arundathi shiggaon recently posted…Engineering Happiness en EspañolMy Profile

I agree with you completely. The sanitised malls aren’t a patch on the local markets. As for shopping abroad – it’s like shopping in toy land

2. Parijat says:

Pl tell me about some furniture market.

New plastic furniture is available in one of the lanes off Abdul Rehman street while old furniture is available in Jogeshwari

So glad you brought back this old post. But it is not dated at all. I had done shopping in those very lanes for my siblings’ weddings and they are excellent. Even lighting and brass fixtures for my home in Kerala was bought from Lohar chawl.

Yes it’s amazing how somethings kind of stay the same forever ! These places remain my favoured shopping destinations despite all the fancy malls that have sprung up

4. Mahati Ramya says:

I am not very familiar with Mumbai. Might be useful for people like me when we visit.
    Mahati Ramya recently posted…5 tips to manage fussy eating kids #WritingWednesdaysMy Profile

5. Dashy says:

I’m not much of a shopping person, and Mumbai is too much of a noise and crowd for my liking. But these tips can be applied anywhere I suppose? Didn’t know about the first sale superstition. I love window shopping, guess I need to look out for the right timing for it then.
    Dashy recently posted…The Second Childhood – 7 of #Seven AgesMy Profile

We have a first sale as well as sunset superstition along the Agakhani shoe sellers. If you happen to be in a shoeshop owned by an Agakhani when they put on the light at sunset you must make a purchase. In fact they even offer a discount on the sale price to encourage you to spend!

6. Geets says:

Hey.. you’ve changed the theme of your blog!! And it looks fabulous! Congratulations… I love Mumbai, though haven’t shopped much in the interiors of the city.. But I have explored Fashion Street and Linking road and it was fun but that was long back!

Cheers

Thanks for visiting and the positive feedback. My daughter suggested the facelift and it has got a great response
      Yes Fashion Street and Linked Road are great shopping areas. Perhaps I should feature them too!

7. Seriously people are so interconnected in so many little ways. Back in my home country, people are so superstitious about the first day buyer that enters their shops and it annoys them when an unserious buyer comes to waste their time.
    Jacqueline Oby-Ikocha recently posted…All the brollies – Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

8. Amruta says:

Hi,
    Nice post about the biggest shopping mall in Mumbai :). You might want to add in your post though, that this market remains closed on sundays, just for the benefit of the non-mumbaikars.