Smart kids diagnose Smartphones- Day 4 WTFOW#5

Smartphones and smart kids

Coming from and analogous  age when phones were rotary, music was recorded on vinyl discs and plastic tapes , and parcels were delivered by postmen, digital had another meaning.  I’d only heard about them in mathematics and biology . So when the world became digital, I was lost. When did phones become smartphones?

And what did they mean by smartphones being intuitive? Are inanimate objects intuitive?

But when my grandson Wow Dinga  swiped the screen of my smartphone with the practised ease of an adult, I understood.  Nor was this skill gender specific either. Ms. Papaya followed suit. And today Little Po all of one, made a grab for my phone too. These kids seem to be wired into today’s technology!

However,  I realised how smart kids really are only today. For a long while Wow Dinga’s Peppa Pig and Blippi refused to download via YouTube  on my IOS devices. For months I grumbled about  the wifi, the internet speeds, the service provider and even the gizmos themselves. What was the solution? Talking to Apple was quite the task because of the lousy phone connection to begin with. I don’t know how to get in touch with YouTube and Vodafone isn’t exactly my best friend.

Smart kid and smart diagnosis

After seeing me struggle with a download for an hour, Wow Dinga stepped back and pronounced with all the sagacity of a three year old,

” Your app is all wrong.”

I was stunned and dismissed it as a smart ass comment he’d heard somewhere and was repeating.

But when I called up Vodafone, I was told that I should delete the current application and re-install a new app as there must be a problem with the old one!

Now who was more intuitive? My smartphone or my smart kid?

line-art-thline-art-th

I’m participating in WriteTribe’s Festival of Words WTFOW#5

1. pins & ashes says:

they just don’t stop amazing us! is all what I can say 🙂 tuned in to the times for sure.. How have you been BB.

Missed our interactions as I had an iffy wifi connection and no access to desktop ( Maid was watching TV and I was baby sitting) so I couldn’t really leave a comment. Taking this day off only to catch up !

2. Dashy says:

Haha, a smart kid indeed. Three of the newborn babies in my family had the smartphones as one of their first toys. One of them was less than a year old and broke the screen too. It’s a born ability for the new generation to use smartphones. 😛
    Dashy recently posted…The Soldier – 4 of #Seven AgesMy Profile

Which brings me to the question what will my great grandchildren do? My grandmother didn’t even dream of the Internet ( nor did we for that matter)

3. Kala Ravi says:

Whew! That is one smart kid! I have a brain freeze most of the time when any tech talk happens. We keep cribbing about kids being glued to screens, but it does help them master some skills we can’t even imagine. Go kiddo!
    Kala Ravi recently posted…Bill Please – Wait a minuteMy Profile

4. Wow! Your kid is really smart.Kids these days do not cease to amaze us.
    Subha Rajagopal recently posted…My Husband’s New MobileMy Profile

5. Tina Basu says:

Kids are extra smart these days I think. I let my 11 month old watch rhymes on you tube, these days he changes the video himself, he already knows how to swipe up down and also how to disconnect the phone! How can I forget selfies! Kids are getting super smart i think

6. Awww……my son is 7 and already knows more than me…..and to add insult to injury, he knows that he knows more than me….:P….
    Sunaina Bhatia recently posted…Lesson From the SeamstressMy Profile