The train back to Bombay

It’s been a long time since I travelled by train, so long that I don’t even remember. I’m on my way back from Pune after a short visit with my parents. I amoat cancelled this trip because my brother warned me of traffic snarls, slippery roads, landslides and generally rash driving that caused horrendous accidents particularly during the first few weeks of rain when the roads get slushy. So keeping this in mind, I decided to return by train.

The Deccan Queen is my train of choice but today I have to make do with the Pragati Express as all train tickets for the Queen are booked.

sitting in the seat next to my alloted seat

a co passenger seated comfortably in his seat

The first round of vendors have already made their way through the coach , selling tea and newspapers. I have already armed myself with reading material and given the tea a miss as I can’t bear drinking tea out of a tea caddy clenched tightly between the vendors thighs: when he opens the tap, I can’t help feeling it looks like he’s peeing into the paper cup! ( yuck!!!)

The train has left on schedule and now I will settle down to my sandwiches made by my mom and a nice read.

Hello Bombay! Here I come

1. Dashy says:

Eeks! Now I can’t have tea during train journeys either! 😛 Anyways have a nice trip.
    Dashy recently posted…Richer than the RichMy Profile

2. Alana says:

No tea served here on trains, at least that I know of. Enjoyed the photo.
    Alana recently posted…What Is Real and What is an Illusion?My Profile

We have lots of stuff sold on our trains. Hot snacky food – oily omelets, potato and onion fritters,local delicacies, even tomato soup !

3. Yikes! Well, it’s a good thing you didn’t drink that tea.. I am not a lover of train journeys at all..But maybe some day

Train journeys are a lot of fun but not this one as it turned out…. Read about it on my next post!

4. Truly Happy says:

Eeks, yes! those tea vendors ….

Have a pleasant journey back home. I thought you would spend a good fortnight or so at Mums. Short and sweet trip eh?

Sorry for ruining your tea in the train but that was not my intent. I couldn’t go long because tonight my grandsons are staying the night with me as my daughter is going to a music concert with her husband to bring in her birthday tomorrow. And the day after my little grandson ( PO) is turning one. And any time at mum’s is good enough isn’t it?

5. joe says:

Aha, doing the Mumbai-Pune (by train) is always a wonderful experience.
    Those tea vendors – can’t blame them, they have to do all sorts of acrobatics to keep steady.
    I traveled recently both up and down by the DQ.

6. Maliny Mohan says:

Just today I travelled by train and I was so hungry that I was aching for a cup of tea or coffee. But then, I do have those moments at times when my mind is all freaked out thinking about tidbits like, ‘ What if they haven’t washed the tea caddy properly.’; ‘what if the bottom is filled with filth?’ and so on. Good thing you had a sandwich to much on while you read 🙂
    Maliny Mohan recently posted…The Wait – FictionMy Profile

Yes. The way food is as ambled in the train is really awful. I’d rather take something from home or eat nothing at all.

7. ajay pai says:

” given the tea a miss as I can’t bear drinking tea out of a tea caddy clenched tightly between the vendors thighs: when he opens the tap, I can’t help feeling it looks like he’s peeing into the paper cup! ( yuck!!!)” you should not have narrated this. I am gonna abandon tea now on in the train ..

Sorry. But it’s true. And honestly I’ve felt this way for years but still drink tea when I’m really hankering for tea…..

8. news online says: