• Uncategorised
  • 36

Doria and Dabu Printing #AtoZChallenge 2017

Doria

From the desert sands of Rajasthan comes another fabric that I simply can’t get enough of. Doria is a fine cotton silk blend that is lightweight and paper thin. It has a unique delicate open mesh like weave that allows the air to pass through. Its is so fine that it is almost transparent and when printed with  block prints as it often is, becomes an exquisite creation.

Also known as Kota , this fabric is made up of cotton and silk yarn in different combinations in warp and weft. They are woven such that they produce square check patterns in the fabric. These checks are popularly known as “KHAT”.

While Doria is commonly woven with more cotton, these days doria in silk is also finding currency.

I love this fabric with its ethereal beauty and find it perfect to wear on a hot summer day.

See how fine and see-through this unique checked net fabric is

Acknowledgements :

Dabu prints

I wouldn’t be wrong in saying that everyone is familiar with Dabu prints . You see them everywhere: on saris, table cloths and clothes for men and women. Their lovely earth colours in deep maroon, indigo and henna green are rich and elegant and rustic at the same time.

Dabu printing is an ancient mud resist block printing technique from Rajasthan. Like most Indian handicrafts that languished in the March towards Modern Times, it has been thankfully revived . It is highly labour intensive and is a popular village industry.

If you want to find out more about this please check out here

I’m afraid I’m a bit confused about this print which I found in my cupboard but I am quite sure it is a dabu  because it is a hand block printed sari from Rajasthan.

Disclaimer : I am neither a textile manufacturer nor a historian . I am just passionate about textiles and fabrics. I have gathered all my information from the Internet. Please excuse any errors and omissions.

Join me and hundreds of other bloggers participating in the #AtoZ Challenge 2017

E is a tough one so what do you think I’ll be writing about tomorrow? Pop in and find out!

1. Shilpa Garg says:

Ah! Your post has brought back so many memories. We have stayed in Kota for 20 years. I remember mom’s stiff and beautiful Kota Doria sarees and my dupattas of this material.
    We have bought innumerable Kota Doria sarees for our friends and relatives as they were perfect for gifting.
    And Dabu print is one of my fav too. It’s best for summers and is best found in the wall city of Jaipur.
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…Domestic Violence #AtoZChallenge @AprilA2ZMy Profile

2. Dahlia says:

I love Kota sarees but didnt know they were called Doria. Or about Dabu printing – thanks for an informative post 🙂

3. Shilpa Gupte says:

Wow! I love this…and I am such an idiot to have missed it..I completely forgot about your theme, Sunita! So sorry!
    I learnt textile designing long ago but didn’t pursue it further. .But I love clothes, fabrics and the history behind them.
    The kota saree has been one of my fav because of their sheer beauty and delicate texture . I don’t own a saree in Kota, but would love to get one..And the dabu print you wrote about. .I was under the impression that it was Sanganeri prints…block prints, from Sanganer. Is it the same?
    Am definitely going to follow your blog for the rest of the month my dear girl!

Thanks Shilpa. I am not a textile person but from what I understand If the block print is made with dabu ( a mud and lime paste mix) it is Dabu. It seems that Bagru and Sanganer are slightly different and Dabu is mostly in Jaipur.

4. Mayuri says:

I think Indian Textiles and prints are gorgeous and have not been given their due. Kudos for choosing a theme that would throw light on them and thereby peopole interested to know more.
    I love the cool and crisp look Doria bestows on the wearer.

5. Modern Gypsy says:

This is lovely, especially for someone like me, who doesn’t know much about fabrics and textiles. I hope you compile these posts into an ebook – I would love to have them as a ready reference!
    Modern Gypsy recently posted…Discovering Art Deco patterns and using them in your art journalMy Profile

6. Sreesha says:

I’d heard of Kota silk; didn’t know it was called Doria. Similarly with Dabu; I’m familiar with the pattern, thanks to mum, but didn’t know what it was called.
    Sreesha recently posted…Demons | #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

7. I didint know Kotadoriya came in Silk mix too – will look it up.
    Your textile knowledge is great and your wardrobe is an interesting place to peek into. 😉

Theme: Peregrination Chronicles (travel)
    D is for Dolphin Delight in Goa #atozchallenge
    SHALINI BAISIWALA recently posted…[D] Dolphin Delight #atozchallenge 2017My Profile

8. Miss Andi says:

I didn’t know these, thank you for sharing!

9. LadyInRead says:

I have seen both of these; the dabu print definitely worn by my mil and mom…and doria with my sil

10. LadyInRead says:

love the theme you have picked for the AtoZchallenge 🙂 and your blog as well
    LadyInRead recently posted…C is for Carrom and for Card Games too..My Profile

11. Im a novice in this but definitely the effort you are making for this theme is brilliant. This will be a great ebook when you are done.
    Roshan Radhakrishnan recently posted…Maggie Doyne is a Shining Example of Selfless Devotion #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

12. I am loving seeing all your fabric examples and the background. I’m an admitted fabric addict!

Today I’ve got lots of art dolls.
    All Dolled Up
    Linda Gardiner recently posted…All Dolled Up A to Z ChallengeMy Profile

13. Kala Ravi says:

Really interesting series Sunita. I love fabrics and it is great to know terminologies to many common Indian textiles. Lots of hard work going into your posts I can imagine. It should make for a lovely coffee table book if you decide to get your posts published. Cheers 🙂

14. Neha says:

I am loving this fabric and weaves journey with you
    Neha recently posted…Delight – What delights a toddler?My Profile

Thanks Neha…. I’m running short of time and will visit your blog tomorrow…. before my own toddlers come ( Im a babysitting granny blogger)

15. Tina Basu says:

Doria is Kota! When I first read the title i thought i had no idea about them – now i think i had no idea about the names. Kota is great for summers.
    Tina Basu recently posted…Eggless Bread and Butter Pudding | Easy Eggless Baking Recipe | #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

16. Eva says:

We’re still in D and I’m already amazed about the variety of textiles in your country!

—–
    EvaMail Adventures

17. Lovely theme! Beautiful fabric. How nice to know their names.
    Maui Jungalow