• Uncategorised
  • 33

French Chiffon #AtoZChallenge 2017

French Chiffon

I can see your eyebrows arching  and asking

How, you may ask, does FRENCH chiffon become part of the Indian Textile tradition?

Well, simply because it has now become the standard uniform for Indian Royalty.

Ever since the legendary beauty Maharani Indira Devi of Cooch Behar wore this sari, it has become part of the Indian Textile Tradition. She was the one who first to wear this diaphanous fabric.  And its sensuous drape only added to her allure and glamour.  Since then, it has become synonymous with elegance and class.

Chiffon is a light  transparent fabric typically made out of silk. While many people prefer plain pastel shades, this fabric has lent itself to haute couture. Most commonly, it is printed either with flowers as in this example or with block prints in the Indian style. Often it is worn with elaborately worked blouses in contrasting colours . French chiffons are perfect for cocktail parties, formal dinners, casual teas and lunches too. In fact, its lightweight, flowing drape makes it the most flattering sari of all time.

Chiffon though delicate, is a strong fabric and fashionistas have embellished it with sequins, crystals, borders and even embroidery .

Believe it or not, I even wash my plain/printed chiffons in my washing machine. So for all of you who have shunned this fabric, take note that it is among the easiest fabrics to care for.

Disclaimer : I am neither a textile manufacturer nor a historian . I am just passionate about textiles and fabrics. I have gathered all my information from the Internet. Please excuse any errors and omissions.

Join me and hundreds of other bloggers participating in the #AtoZ Challenge 2017

Its my mom’s favourite material for saris.
    Lata Sunil recently posted…Kissing the Demon by Amrita KumarMy Profile

2. Bernie says:

Fabulous fabrics. Lovely colours 😉

3. Patricia says:

That is a lovely fabric! I love saris. I used to own a gorgeous deep blue one that I got for my friend’s wedding though it wasn’t french chiffon.

4. The Rajput women look kickass in this drape- one of my Rajput frends mom’s wardrobe was our fav place to peek in all the time.

And I agree they are the easiest fabric to take care of.

Theme: Peregrination Chronicles (travel)
    Flower power #atozchallenge
    SHALINI BAISIWALA recently posted…[F] Flower Power in Bangalore #atozchallenge 2017My Profile

5. Sujata Ravi says:

Where has your blog BEEN all this while? So excited to finally come across it, and your theme is BRILLIANT! Look forward to seeing all your posts!

6. Jacqui says:

I can almost feel the texture through your post. What a gorgeous pattern.

7. Jaishvats says:

Chiffon is used for sarees as well, right?

jaishwrites – F for??? (flashfiction)
    Jaishvats recently posted…#AtoZChallenge 2017 – F for ….? (Flash fiction)My Profile

8. Shilpa Gupte says:

Yes, I agree…Chiffon means royal, sensual and easy to maintain.

9. Modern Gypsy says:

I love the lightness is chiffon, but I always thought it was a very fragile fabric that had to be handled delicately!
    Modern Gypsy recently posted…Faux Encaustics: recipes and a step-by-step demoMy Profile

10. bushra says:

French chiffon is quite popular when My mom is young and now the market is swamped with local chiffon
    Thanks for sharing
    Dr bushra
    Do visit mine
    F-Feasible Quinoa – Switch to Good Health with Quinoa
    bushra recently posted…F-Feasible Quinoa – Switch to Good Health with QuinoaMy Profile

11. Geets says:

I like it because it’s light to wear and adds perfect grace if worn in style!

Cheers
    Geets recently posted…F- FreedomMy Profile

12. Eva says:

Yes, the title sounded odd tome. Thank for explaining!

—–
    EvaMail Adventures
    Eva recently posted…#AtoZChallenge | F is for FlagsMy Profile

13. Natasha says:

Intersting piece of information on French chiffon, starting from the Maharani of Cooch Bihar. Thank you for your post.

Blog: natashamusing
    Theme: Travel Epiphanies
    Gobsmacked in Gorgeous Goa
    Natasha recently posted…{G} is for Gobsmacked in Glorious Goa: #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

14. Vidya Sury says:

I have every imaginable material in saris. Love chiffon. So versatile. That pic in your post is ethereal, Sunita. And of course chiffon is the fashion designer’s happy material!
    Vidya Sury recently posted…Finding Magic in The Mundane #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

15. Rajlakshmi says:

Ohh I didn’t know the story behind how it came to India… It’s so common for girls to wear chiffon these days. ?
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…Yogasana: The Eagle Stance #atozchallengeMy Profile

16. Shilpa Garg says:

Chiffons can be washed in washing machine?! I thought they needed delicate handling!
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…Gambling #AtoZChallenge @AprilA2ZMy Profile

17. I love chiffon because its lightweight and comfortable to wear.
    Menaka Bharathi recently posted…Gearing Up Your Organic Potting Mix – All You Need To Know Of Potting MixtureMy Profile