• Uncategorised
  • 19

Gorgeous Gara & Graceful Georgette #AtoZChallenge 2017

Gorgeous Gara

The Gara is actually a well kept secret  normally found in an old Parsi cupboard. Carefully wrapped in muslin, it is a much cherished sari  passed down reverentially from generation to generation.

Normally, this richly embroidered sari is made of  chamois silk, with distinctly Chinese motifs worked in satin stitch . This is because several Parsi merchants who did trade with China brought home yards of this fabulous fabric for their women folk to wear. This soon became a coveted item and for many years was the sari to wear for special occasions. Its soft silk fabric and stunning embroidery has to be really seen and felt …..

Gradually these saris were made in India, painstakingly hand embroidered. Today many of these are no longer hand embroidered. Even the fabric has given way to crepe silk or even a synthetic nylon. There are a few revivalists like Ashdeen and  Naju Daver who still make them to order . Obviously these  are expensive but for some Parsis they aren’t as  authentic enough as the ones handed down to them by Mummy or Aunty Freny!

Graceful Georgette

Many of the saris that date from my wedding have sadly given way. One  sari that still remains is a deep blue Mysore georgette. The sari has a finely worked gold border and gold booties in the main part. Apart from it’s rich appearance, I love this sari for its fall and drape . Even now it clings at the right places and flatters my not so flattering silhouette!

Georgette is another of those modern fabrics that has found its place in the Indian Textile Tradition. It is versatile and lends itself to many traditions . While Mysore georgettes are famous for their fine gold work, the brilliant hued georgette from Rajasthan are famous for their bandhani work. Even Chikankaris from Lucknow like this fabric to showcase their fine embroidery. This is largely because georgette is a sturdier fabric than its country cousin the chiffon.

Is it any wonder then that this fabric has become part of the Indian Textile Tradition?

Disclaimer : I am neither a textile manufacturer nor a historian . I am just passionate about textiles and fabrics. I have gathered all my information from the Internet. Please excuse any errors and omissions.

Tomorrow is a day of rest and I can’t say I’m not happy.

Join me and hundreds of other bloggers participating in the #AtoZ Challenge 2017

1. Neha says:

We have such beautiful varieties when it comes to everything – food, clothing, fabrics the list is endless. And I am discovering quite a few with blogs like your’s
    Greiving
    Neha recently posted…Grieving- When even the Gods were ashamedMy Profile

2. Vidya Sury says:

How interesting! I’ve always admired the attire of Parsis–my friend’s family had a number of Parsi friends. They maintain their possessions so beautifully. Your blue sari looks gorgeous, Sunita! And georgette is one of the sexiest materials ever. I’ve had several saris in this material, and later, dupattas. Hugs, Sunita!
    Vidya Sury recently posted…Finding Magic in The Mundane #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

Thanks Vidya. I’ve been trying to visit your posts daily for my dose of smiles but somehow cannot add you to my Reader. I think this is because you aren’t on wordpress

3. Tina S says:

Hi Proud Mumbai Girl! My first time on your blog and what brought me here was the Gara and Georgette writeup. I have been eyeing the Parsi gara border for quite some time…I plan to buy one this year and get it stitched onto a pretty georgette or chiffon saree. Love the Parsis overall – as a community, their lifestyle, the food, fashion everything. On that note, I would like to invite you to my blog and the day´s challenge https://pensense.blogspot.in. Keep writing and Cheers

4. Rajlakshmi says:

The Georgette looks so awesome… I love how it fits the form and looks fashionable. Most of the women in my family hardly wear Georgette so the varieties I have seen are only limited to what celebrities wear.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…Yogasana: The Eagle Stance #atozchallengeMy Profile

5. Shilpa Garg says:

Was not aware of Gara at all. Interesting to know about it.
    Georgette… aah! I find Georgette sarees so graceful and stylish.
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…Gambling #AtoZChallenge @AprilA2ZMy Profile

6. Parul Thakur says:

I know about Gara sarees just a bit from Parisera. But like you said – not affordable for all pockets. My mum too has georgette from her wedding. Lovely sarees and the fall of the fabric is the best.
    Parul Thakur recently posted…G for Good girl #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

7. Jacqui says:

I have always had fond thoughts about georgette, but couldn’t tell you why. Now, I know.
    Jacqui recently posted…Today’s #AtoZChallenge Topic: Grant ProposalsMy Profile

8. I love the Parsi gara work and proudly own a couple of them.
    This blue georgette is lovely and I had no idea Mysore ones are popular kinds – shall look out to buy one next!!

Theme: Peregrination Chronicles (travel)
    G is for Grape Stomping in Bangalore #atozchallenge
    SHALINI BAISIWALA recently posted…[G] Grapestomping |#atozchallenge 2017|My Profile

9. Shilpa Gupte says:

You know, Sunita, ever since A to Z began and I started reading your blogposts, I feel a burning desire to go shopping for every saree you write about! 😀
    Just the other day a cousin was asking if I know where one could find a Gara saree! I couldn’t help her out; hope she found some place where she would find this beautiful drape.
    Gerogettes are wonderful! I loved the one in the picture. Have you noticed something, the zari work from the older sarees looked far more classier than the present zari work? I mean, the latest zari sarees look golden, a bit too golden, unlike their older counterparts, which look subtler, less golden, like in your saree. Mum has a couple of old sarees which look so much more sober than some of my zari sarees! Of course, you haven’t written about zari, it’s just that the picture you shared brought to mind the zari difference. 🙂

Thanks for your detailed review. You can get Garas at Naju Daver at Forjett street. Or even at Ashdeen. There also some other shops near Harkisondas Hospital where the cheaper varieties are available.
      And yes I do think the old zari is more subtle and elegant . I will be writing about Zari and Zardozi as my post for Z . I’m a. It stuck for X because there doesn’t seem to be anything starting with this letter. Any help in this direction? Else I’m tweaking it to X for cross stitch used in Karnataki Kashida

10. anne m bray says:

I am learning a lot about Indian textiles from your posts. Thank you! Enjoy the day off!
    anne m bray recently posted…#AtoZchallenge G: #vog_glenham #ifjm2017My Profile

11. Eva says:

Being in other coin of the world, Georgette is familiar to me. I love the fall of it.

—–