• Uncategorised
  • 29

Leheriya from Rajasthan #AtoZChallenge 2017

Leheriya

Once upon a time I had three leheriyas in my cupboard. My favourite was a brilliant pink known as Rani Pink ( fuschia ) . Alas! I don’t have a single Leheriya in my cupboard right now.

The only Textile Tradition I can think of for L is Leheriya . The word translates to waves  -like waves in the ocean. The wave like pattern is obtained when the fabric is tied and dyed. This is another tradition that comes from the desert sands of Rajasthan which more often than not conjures up brilliantly tied and died fabrics, camels and bright sunshine.

Soft, flowy and magical the Leheriya in cotton is used as a turban or sari. You can make Leheriya from silk, georgette or chiffon too!

Did you know that ?

• leheria was once worn exclusively by the  Marwaris of  Rajasthan.
  • only royalty wore blue leheria
  • white is the commonest base colour of leheria
  • The price of a leheria depends on the kind of fabric and the  number of times the cloth has been dyed

~ Courtesy:  Utsavpedia

Creating a wave

This seemingly easy pattern is obtained by tightly tying up the fabric with thread to retain the original colour when the cloth is dipped into dye.

Now isn’t that a fascinating way of creating a wave?

Disclaimer : I am neither a textile manufacturer nor a historian . I am just passionate about textiles and fabrics. I have gathered all my information from the Internet. Please excuse any errors and omissions.

Any guesses  what M will bring ?

Join me and hundreds of other bloggers participating in the #AtoZ Challenge 2017. I’m also linking up with #UltimateBlog Challenge and @Blogchatter

1. Linda says:

I found you so your link worked and I enjoyed reading about leherias. 🙂 Linda

2. malraj says:

Took me right to my childhood, when I tried to do the same to one of my scarf using fabric paint, @home.It turned out so beautiful. The most exciting part was to remove those tied up threads to reveal the pattern underneath. 🙂 Loved it!!

3. I have never heard this word, but I know I love the bright colors of the sari. I wish I could get away with wearing one to work, but I’m afraid I couldn’t. I found you, visiting from A to Z =)

Little House on the Prairie

4. Modern Gypsy says:

I love the waves on laheriya saris. I wish I knew how to wear a sari, though!
    Modern Gypsy recently posted…Luscious glazes to make your art journals popMy Profile

5. Laheria – a new word for my collection. Thank you! I love fabric and love learning new things. I will be back.

6. What an interesting post, I love learning about new things so thanks! 🙂
    Good luck with the rest of the A-Z Challenge
    Elena @ ElenaSquareEyes recently posted…L is for LondonMy Profile

7. I have worn a leheriya spending many of my growing years in Rajasthan. This brought back beautiful memories .

Cheers
    Truly Yours Roma

8. I have been looking at your posts almost every day, just so ya know. The link works fine. I too am finding the long list of “comments” to scroll through a bit daunting. The video is fantastic! Being a fiber geek I will be trying this technique this summer. Maybe with my rust solution on muslin. I now have a new word to spring on my Shibori pals. Thank You!
    Lettering Arts
    Linda Gardiner recently posted…Lettering Arts A to Z ChallengeMy Profile

Thanks ?. I’m sure you’ll enjoy this technique … have a great summer . We’re boiling here with temperatures in the higher 30’s ( centigrade)

9. Deepa says:

Lehriya is my favourite and Bandhini too from Rajasthan. I learnt how to do it in college in my clothing and textile subject. I have a lehariya saree and 2 dupattas.

10. Shalini says:

I have abt six of them in my cupboard plus some dupattas too. I adore them.
    I remember learning tie n dye and make a few chunnis for myself.
    Wonder if you will do M for mothra tomorrow? 😉

Leather that weathers in Pushkar

11. Vinitha says:

Looks beautiful. I never had a lehriya. I will come back later to check out your other posts, Sunita. Maybe I will learn a couple of things about textiles and fabrics. ?
    Vinitha recently posted…Wordless Wednesday 38My Profile

12. I had no idea that only Royalty wore blue Lehariya.
    My Mum is a Rajasthani so the Bandhni and Leheriyas are brought out f the closet for festive occasions 🙂
    Mayuri Nidigallu recently posted…M is for… #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

13. Awesome post.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Read mine here- MYSORE VISIT THE CITY OF PALACES

14. Jane says:

Hey, I found you too Bellybytes!
    I love all those colorful fabrics. We are so dull in the West now with our jeans and t shirts.

L is for Luck