• Uncategorised
  • 27

Organdy and Organza #A to Z Challenge

Organdy and Organza like the French chiffon and chamois silk , are two new entrants to the Indian Textile Tradition. Both these are man made fabrics. They are extremely fine and light. Translucent and sheer they bring a different magic.

Organdy is the finest , sheerest and stiffest cotton manufactured. Unlike muslin, this fabric is not soft and limpy. It is machine made and  popular fabric for  dress making. There was a time when this material was a favourite because it remained wrinkle free and fresh looking even after a day’s wear. It was convenient because it provided the comfort of cotton without the hassle of starching the fabric! So yards of the fabric were used to make hand or machine embroidered saris. It was great for hand painted and block printed saris too.

source

Organza on the other hand, is the sheer, stiff fabric made from Silk. More often than not, the fabric has a bit of synthetic fibre blended with it . This fabric is still very popular especially in Benaras weaves. Unlike the chanderi or maheshwari that can crease and crinkle, it remains stiff and firm all day long. It’s slight sheen gives it a luxurious look too.

With that I’ve come to O the 18th letter of the alphabet. I hope you’re enjoying the journey so far.

See you tomorrow with P and more traditions of Indian textiles.

I’m participating in the #A to Z Challenge 2017 and linking this post to #Ultimate Blog Challenge’s #blogboost and #Blogchatter.

1. Modern Gypsy says:

Your posts are so informative! I wouldn’t have been able to come up with an A to Z of fabrics – this is a treasure trove of information!
    Modern Gypsy recently posted…{O} Adding Organic elements to your art journalMy Profile

2. Shalini says:

I actually avoid both due to their stiffness. 🙂

Once upon a time
    Shalini recently posted…[O] Once upon a time |#atozchallenge 2017|My Profile

3. Both make me look fat, so I prefer having Dupattas of the ‘O’s :))

4. LadyInRead says:

same as shalini and mayuri, i don’t wear them too.. i do have one sari which is still brand new 🙂
    LadyInRead @ MyRandRSpace – Day 18 & the Letter O
    LadyInRead recently posted…O is for ….One and a Two, and I Love You.. and songs sungMy Profile

5. Mrs.Dash says:

Is organza different from coral?

6. Shilpa Garg says:

I had one Organza dupatta once. Never tried Organdie and Organza sarees.
    Informative post, Sunita.
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…OMG!! #AtoZChallenge @AprilA2ZMy Profile

7. Both are lovely materials just that they make me feel like a balloon when I wear a saree made out of them. However, stitched suits are still wearable. They are my all time favourites for summer.
    Geethica Mehra recently posted…O-OptimisticMy Profile

8. When I was in college I used to use organza, I used to be 30 kgs and I wanted something that would show me a bit heavy. Now I dont prefer it because of that same fluffyness
    Launching SIM Organics This April
    *Menaka Bharathi *
    *SimpleIndianMom*
    Menaka Bharathi recently posted…Out-Jump Your Nutritional Intake – Microgreens – Do You Know ThemMy Profile

9. This brought back some fondest memories buddy. I remember wearing organdy grill dress for a dance I performed in Grade 7. Lovely Informative Post!

10. Eva says:

(Synthetic) organza is very popular here. I don’t like it very much.
    Eva recently posted…#AtoZChallenge | O is for ObverseMy Profile

11. Love the insight into these fabrics 🙂 Happy A-to-Z-ing.
    Ronel Janse van Vuuren recently posted…One Step Closer #FlashFiction #TwistedTaleTuesday #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

12. Dahlia says:

I loved them when they came out but soon realized I looked like a football – an itchy football 😀

13. Organdi and Organza sarees were my mom’s favorite. But not my favorite…they make me rounder!
    And good to know that you are enjoying your A to Z journey… wish you all the more happiness till Z and beyond!
    ————————————————
    Anagha From Team MocktailMommies
    Collage Of Life

14. Geets says:

I made organdie flowers when I was in school and they turned out real fine! That was the only encounter I had with that fabric!

Cheers
    Geets recently posted…O- Old AgeMy Profile

15. I used to think that both are the same! How ignorant of me…I love the fabric though, I have an orange one just like the one here.

Shubhangi @ The Little Princess
    shubhangi srikanth recently posted…O – 5 reasons why you shouldn’t Overwork yourself.My Profile

16. Tina Basu says:

Now you are talking – this is my favorite fabric – one that drapes well, doesn’t make me look like a beer barrel and i love pastel shades – Manish Malhotra types!
    Tina Basu recently posted…Ultimate Chocolate Chip Mug Cake – 60 second eggless mug cake in microwaveMy Profile