Leaving Geronimo behind #FridayReflections

eyes-285825_640

Ever since the Black Tom found itself on Makete Street, Sandokan began to act strangely.

“It’s Geronimo, I’m sure . He’s come after me again!”

“Nonsense”, said Princess ” you’re imagining things. And even if it is , I’m sure he’s changed. Everyone does! ”

“Forget it Princess. He’s not going to change.

“It’s easy for you to say. You’ve not had to suffer his beatings as a child . You’ve not had to hear your mother’s tale of woe night after night.”

“That’s what you think,” pooh-poohed Princess. ”  I’ve come away too from a home that shackled me . Running away from a mother who needed mothering herself .”

Sandokan swished his tail and arched his back.  He thought he’d left Geronimo the street bully in the alleyways of Boston. Never in a hundred years could he imagine that he’d show up here in Makete Street , albeit a mere shadow of his bullying self.

Were those his golden eyes glinting in the dark? Or am I just imagining he’s there? I’m going crazy with the thought muttered Sandokan to himself .

Will I ever be free of him? Will I see him in  every Black Tom with yellow eyes ? Or has he really gone?

Each one of us it seems has ghost from the past that isn’t too far away. Waiting in the shadows. Watching your every move . Lurking in the background waiting to pounce. Sometimes we really see them. Oftentimes we imagine that they’re there. And they do live in our subconscious. Ever present.

It’s time to let those ghosts go free. It’s time to leave Geronimo behind.

I’m responding to this week’s prompt “Then I wondered if everybody has that person that haunts them, the one that got away.”
― Marlon James, A Brief History of Seven Killings

and sharing  my thoughts with other WRITE TRIBERS on Corinne’s and Sanch’s link #FridayReflections.

Happy weekend all.

1. Esha says:

Amazing take on the prompt, Sunita! You must write more of fiction! This one just aced it! i truly can’t believe why someone who writes so well should ever think of calling it quits! Keep at it Sunita. Your readers are waiting for more!
    Esha recently posted…The Coconut Trees – #ThursdayTreeLove – 13My Profile

Thanks Esha ! I’ll take this as a sign that the minute I stop stressing about numbers and stats, the creative juices just flow. So I’ll go ahead and join the Monday and Friday and Thursday prompts . These are more relaxed and less frenetic than the challenges which can be quite mindless

• That’s the real epiphany, isn’t it? We chase our own tails in the quest for improved metrics we’ve been told matter, without asking “why do they matter to US?” And then it hits: it’s left us without time, energy, or inclination to write just for the joy of writing.

For me, the “why do they matter” is just to have a few readers to entertain. I don’t need (or deserve) millions, if I can’t entertain 100 enough that they’ll help spread the word. And I don’t really need 100 if I have at least a few who really enjoy what I write.

If I didn’t have a day job, I might feel differently about that. But I do. And I have a family and a life and hobbies and… blogging and writing books are important to me, but they are not the only thing, or even the most important thing.

You’ve really hit the nail on the head. I’m glad I’ve shared these thoughts because they’ve really shown me where I was going wrong . It’s not the effort that I should change but my expectations and then blogging will be pleasurable again. Thanks for your words

2. So Geronimo, the mouse becomes Geronimo, the Black Tom. What a marvel for a tale in and the prompt is woven brilliantly in the tale. I want to say certain things for the way the scene progressed till the end but can’t find the appropriate words. But I can say this was a perfect read.
    Anamika Agnihotri recently posted…Book Review #1: When Dad showed me the UniverseMy Profile

3. Vinay Leo R. says:

what a wise purr from Princess. yes. it’s good to leave the Geronimo behind. 🙂 in the story, and in our lives. beautifully put across.

4. Kala Ravi says:

Wow that was an awesome reflection Sunita! Letting go of ghosts from the past….so difficult that is, yet so crucial that we do. Is it the Geronimo Stilton character by any chance being referred to here? Because I have never read those books.

5. Vinitha says:

Wow, Sunita. That was brilliant. Loved the way you narrated the cute story and the way you conveyed the message too. Well done.
    Vinitha recently posted…Wordless Wednesday 40My Profile

6. I have to tell you, Corinne sent me here and I am so thankful that she did. This post is wonderful. I absolutely loved it. I too am a grandma – my grandbabies call me Mimi – please don’t stop blogging I just found you and you rock! 😀

7. Shilpa Gupte says:

And you were planning on hanging up your boots? ! I really was not aware you were such an amazing story teller, Sunita!
    You ought to do this more often and let the numbers be! The number of views , comments etc etc.
    You are such an evolved story teller, girl! Am awestruck!

Thanks for your kind words but you can see why I felt I had to give up…. I know numbers don’t matter but if no one was reading it wasn’t worth writing . I’m not giving up …. just changing my attitude to numbers

8. Modern Gypsy says:

What an amazing take on the prompt! I loved this story, and the message. We really need to leave our fear behind, or it stalks us no matter how far we think we have come!
    Modern Gypsy recently posted…Anything but booksMy Profile

9. A purr-fect story, and such creative use of the prompt. Don’t quit!
    The Unknown Journey Ahead recently posted…Too Many Regrets #FridayReflectionsMy Profile

Thanks! All these encouraging comments I’ve received have convinced me to stay blogging – only change my expectations so that it remains a pleasure and not a chore

Wow..you should try more fiction. Nice descriptions.
    Lata Sunil recently posted…Where the Rain is born – Anita Nair #BookReviewMy Profile

11. A tale well told. Lovely message. 🙂

12. You have a true knack for conjuring up fictional tales Sunita – cant believe you were talking about hanging up your blogging boots!!! This is one rocking story Lady and I hope to see many many more from you!! Cheers
    SHALINI BAISIWALA recently posted…The last swan song | Friday Fiction |My Profile

Thanks Shalini. I was just getting too bogged down with the stats and was wondering if it was worth spending so much time writing blogs when I’d rather write my own book.