Win(e)ding down on Sunday evening.

Many people think that  every day is a Sunday for the housewives  who do ‘nothing’ the rest of the week . But I  prefer to think that I work all week and need to unwind on a Sunday especially with a glass of wine.

My GP has actually recommends a glass of red wine every evening to bring down stress levels. While I don’t follow his advice strictly, a glass every now and then helps soothe my nerves. Particularly on days like today when I seem to have completely lost my muse.

I was lucky enough to find two opened bottles of wine standing on top of a cupboard that masquerades as a bar in our house.

Wine, especially when opened, shouldn’t be kept out unless of course you want to turn it to vinegar.

So I just had no choice but to have a glass or two.

And it was a Eureka moment for me as I poured myself a glass : I found my muse.

I could compare and contrast the two different bottles of red.

Now you may ask what is the difference between one wine and the other. After all, a grape is a grape is a grape. But there is a difference.  And after several years of wine drinking, I assure you even a novice will develop his  own preferences and make out the distinct flavours.

Wine lovers or oenophiles will tell you that wine has to be stored at the right temperature, served at the right temperature, in the right glass and with the right food. They are particular about the vintage and provenance and will turn their noses up at anything but the best.

It is quite obvious now, that I am no wine snob and and my opinions are entirely of the uninitiated, philistine.

So according to me here’s how the two play out.

Sula’s  Cabernet Shiraz  is a deep, dark , full bodied red. It tingles the insides of your mouth with a slightly sourish taste and leaves a dryish warm feeling in your mouth as you swallow it down. After a sip or two you get used to the taste.

This robust wine goes very well with dry roasts and red meat and is very popular with tandoori food. I must add that  surprisingly enough, it also goes very well with masala daal fry and rice .

Sula’s Zinfandel, on the other hand is a deep though lighter red. It is mellower and has a velvety feel to it as you swirl it in your mouth, leaving a delightful after taste as you swallow it.

I particularly like to pair it with my mildly spiced chicken curry or coconut based prawn curry.

Because wines are not part of our culinary tradition, there are no set rules as to which wine goes with what. At least that’s what I like to think. Wine pairing is entirely personal and after a few tries, you yourself will come up with your own preferences and pairings.

Remember, wines are a relatively new entrant to Indian tables and for many years, Indian wines were looked down up. However, thanks to the pioneering efforts of wineries like SULA, Indian wines are as good as any ( or at least I like to think so!) international brand. In fact, many millennials prefer wines to harder liquor and a good bottle of wine has replaced the traditional bouquet of flowers  that were gifted to the hostess.

So the next time you are stressed and need to unwind, particularly on a Sunday evening, just quaff a glass or two .

What is your favourite wine? Do you have any favourite  pairing with Indian food? Do send me your views in the comments.

Cheers!

‘I am taking My Alexa rank to the next level with Blogchatter and #MyFriendAlexa

1. Obsessivemom says:

I’m not much of a wine person but I have heard of the old rule – red wine with red meat and white with white. I think it’s okay to make your own rules and go by what your taste buds ask for. Sula wines are quite a hit with friends and family and I am made to carry bottles when I travel home.

2. Amrita says:

Interesting post.I don’t drink anything alcoholic .Though I have heard about the health benefits of red wine.
    Amrita recently posted…Thankful for my Window Seat View when it RainsMy Profile

3. Nabanita says:

I’m a novice when it comes to wine but I do like an occasional glass or two just to unwind which reminds me it’s been a long time since I’ve had some.
    Nabanita recently posted…We Are More Resilient Than We Think We AreMy Profile

4. Rajlakshmi says:

Now that’s the best way to relax. ?
    I love Moscato most… Mostly because of the sweet flavor. I feel Pizza compliments it really well ?all the goodness of life together ? I never imagined wine with masala dal fry… But it sounds delicious.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…7 Fascinating Things I came across recentlyMy Profile

5. Andy says:

I would love to try Sula’s Zinfandel ??. I haven’t seen any Indian wines here in Australia, unfortunately

6. Manisha Garg says:

Red wine is very good for health but in limited quantities. We had been to Sula and their Wine tasting session is a good learning too

Yes I agree . Most things in good measure is good for the health. I found the wine tasting in Sula a good learning experience but a big rip off…. Nothing compared to the wine tasting I’ve done elsewhere

7. Shilpa Gupte says:

Wellll….I am not a wine person, Sunita. I am a Vodka person. And, I have an occasional peg or two on Saturday evenings, when hubby is out with his buddies. I like preparing a light dinner – maybe cheesy mashed potatoes, or steamed corn – and have my vodka with either kokum sherbet, or gingerale. Yeah, kokum sherbet was quite a discovery because I found the sweet taste of kokum plus the sour, strong taste of vodka a better combination than anything lemon-y. I put on my favourite songs on a high volume on such days. It makes me forget the world! :))
    Shilpa Gupte recently posted…Ganpati Bappa Morya!My Profile

That’s a great way to chill Shilpa. Kokomo vodka sounds an exotic cocktail. Maybe you should patent it … serve like a martini with plenty of crushed ice. I’ll try this one Sunday afternoon and if it works out may be one day we can have a drink together !

8. OOh I absolutely adore wine and can never make up my mind if I like red more or white. So I have simplified it by saying white in summers and red in winters plus I love sangria.
    My favourite wines are from the JacoB Creek family as I find them smoother than the Indian ones. Indian grape is tad bit too acidic, making the wine drier than my palate can handle. Sula has come up with some smoother versions now and I have tried a few of them in sangrias.
    Maybe when we finally meet for a catch up, this is what we are going to do 😉
    Love that you have put up your pic on the blog – very happy one!!!
    SHALINI BAISIWALA recently posted…I see no God here [ #Fiction ]My Profile

It’s a fine deal- we’ll try out which wine goes with which food and make a comparative study and a collaborative blog post 😉 . I like your idea of white for summer and rev for winter – really simplifies things . And yes Sangria is great too especially the crunchy apple bits . Should I change my pic to a less identifiable one ? I actually love being three woozy gerberas

9. Ruchi Verma says:

I really don’t like wine but Sula wines are really good and wanna try once

You won’t regret it I assure you. Wine drinking is over rated and Indian wines are good enough as long as they are well matured. Else you can get a bad head ache…

10. Very detailed and informative post indeed! My parents would feel like its the beginning of my destruction if they learn i started drinking anything alcoholic.. 😀 . I had though couple of times without their knowledge! The first thing i tried was Wine on my first ever candle light dinner 🙂 Frankly i do not remember what was the brand but i liked the taste of it. A bit of tang, a bit sour and a bit sweet!

11. Disha says:

I am not a big fan of wines, but the idea of win-e-ding on Sunday evening looks appealing. Wine & good food sounds like a perfect combination to me atleast! 🙂
    Disha recently posted…Things to do in Dehradun! #MyFriendAlexaMy Profile