Diwali disaster #FlavoursomeTuesdays

Sadly every day is NOT a Sunday. In fact today’s Tuesday is hardly flavoursome.

There are something’s that aren’t just meant to be . After several attempts over several years, I’ve finally come to the conclusion that Home made Chaklis aren’t for me.

Chakli are those round maze like savoury fry ups that are crispy and yummy. In fact they are my favourite Diwali treat.

Alas, I somehow can’t seem to get them right. I tried out Mrs. Ogale’s recipe but that didn’t work. Then I gave my mother’s tried and tested one. That failed too. So I gave Naloo Maushi’s secret recipe a try but that didn’t work either . Finally, I tried several pre- made mixes over the years – from Vaidya in Pune and Vanita Samaj at Dadar. Sadly they didn’t come out either !!!!

So for several years I gave making chaklis a miss , preferring to buy them from Vinayak Keshav at Girgaon.

But chakli is Little Po’s all time favourite. so Bayda the Bai who watches every cookery show ever made in Marathi decided to take the chakli in her own hands.

As is her habit, she woke up well before I did and began making the recipe for a fool proof chakli. And when Little Po came home she proudly presented him a piece of her labour of love.

But a piece was all he got because no sooner had the first perfect batch cooled down, than the next chakli just crumbled to pieces in the hot oil.

Bayda tried to resurrect the recipe but the chakli wouldn’t fry.

So I’ve come to accept the fact that homemade chakli isn’t for me . At least those not made in my home!

Do you have a food memory that is not always flavoursome? Do share your post with the hashtag #FlavoursomeTuesday

in the comments below.

In the meanwhile hope your Diwali sweets are coming out fine.

P.s. Incase you are wondering how I could be zen about this I’ll let you into a secret . I believe that life is always a balance of plus and minus. So if chakli is a minus I’m willing to live with it!

1. Alice Gerard says:

I love to cook but I have to admit that I’ve definitely had my share of kitchen disasters!!!

2. An honest post. Love the way you see life and its happenings. And speaking of kitchen disasters, it happens often in my home.

3. For me, everything in food which is not a regular is a minus, not that the regular food or dishes are a big plus. They are just okay. I like chaklis, by the way and they are always shop-bought.
    Anamika Agnihotri recently posted…The illustrator’s alien #MondayMusingsMy Profile

4. Amrita BASU says:

This was very interesting .It happens with me too
    Amrita BASU recently posted…12 Eye Care Tips from Lessons Learned: Doc Who Wears SpecsMy Profile

5. Aha! Chakli brings so much memory of Diwali in Pune and the flavor of home is so powerful. Wish you best luck next time and never shy to try.
    Vishal Bheeroo recently posted…Har ek pal bit gaya aur reh gayaMy Profile

Thanks Vishal. Bayda gave it another shot and made some chakli that miraculously didn’t break. So perhaps it is her chakli touch that works 😉 happy Diwali to you and yours

6. Akshata says:

I love challis and my mom (also called Sunita) makes amazing chaklis- she hasn’t be making them for 2 years now after the birth of my daughter, I miss Diwali here in Switzerland
    Akshata recently posted…Jamie did that #FFFAW #FlashFictionMy Profile

Gosh! Your mum and I seem to have more than just a name in common! Even I slowed down with my cooking after my first grandson was born 4 years ago…. and don’t worry you can face time …. it’s only a few weeks that you’re away. And it will soon be done

7. God I remember making them with wheat flour and they would come out damn good if a bit hard. I would add some rice flour to it too. Not sure about why yours crumble so much – too much oil?
    SHALINI BAISIWALA recently posted…Ditch convenience to support sustainable lifestyle [ #writebravely ]My Profile

I just think it’s the evil eye . Something’s work out and somethings don’t . But there must be something I’m doing wrong . Trouble is I make chaklis only once a year and forget what I did wrong the last time . Perhaps I should try for 10 days straight and get them right once and for all!

8. My mom makes amazing chakli’s …Very yummy indeed! In-fact she made them couple of days back and we being foodies didn’t let them last for couple of day 😛