Passing on the karanji #MondayMusings

• I woke up this morning to a photo of homemade karanji. I was happy to see them because Daughter No 1 had made them, for the very first time. They looked perfect and possibly tasted perfect since Ms Papaya loved them. And she is quite the discerning eater. I was happy to see that the karanji had passed on.

Another generation liking karanji and another generation making them.

Traditions are important to maintain continuity, and establish social ties and establish identity. Click To Tweet

And observing festivals is one such tradition.

Today is actually the first day of Diwali ( Vasubaras) the five day Festival of Lights. Not many people observe this day and it is lost in obscurity.

Diwali for the millions is the day Narakasur the demon was slayed. In my childhood home this was marked by an oil massage and scented bath.

Others observe LaxmiPujan or the moonless night as the first day of Diwali. This is a national holiday and marks the New Year. Traders and businessmen open new books of accounts and householders like me welcome Laxmi into our homes.

This day is also marked with new clothes and exchange of gifts.

And the last day which is of special significance in my home state of Maharashtra is Bhaubeej. This is a special day for sisters of brothers who normally make it a point to meet and greet each other this one day.

So today I will put up my ecofriendly garlands to signify the start of yet another Diwali.

And then I’ll get down to making my own karanji.

What is your Diwali tradition? Do share in the comments below.

Linking up with #MondayMusings hosted by Corinne of Everydaygyaan and wishing everyone all the best this festive season!

1. Shilpa Gupte says:

We made the karanji yesterday – me and my SIL. And, these are the special CKP Kanavle…I am sure you have heard about it! 😛 It is quite a lengthy process, but my SIL, who is an expert at it, saw to it that we finished with the entire thing before 5.30 pm! Phew!
    We too don’t celebrate Vasubaras, but we do celebrate each day from Dhanteras to Padwa, to Bhaubeej…and I love it, of course, without the patakhas! 🙂
    Wish you a very happy Diwali, Sunita! <3
    Shilpa Gupte recently posted…Inktober 2017 – 2nd Week.My Profile

2. Rajlakshmi says:

Our house would smell like all things sweet and delicious during Diwali. And we would light the house with diyas and candles. It was something we had followed for years till one by one we started leaving home. I miss those festivities here.
    BTW I will now have to google what karanji is ?
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…Words are all I haveMy Profile

3. Esha says:

Isn’t it wonderful to see the tradition being passed on to the next generation. I love Diwali but lately, we make it a point to travel out to some place far from the city to avoid the extreme pollution as my son suffers from asthma and allergy during this entire period. We too, like you, have BhaiPhota which is to put tilak for the brothers and pray for their long lives! Some Bengali families also do Laxmi Puja to mark the day! This year too, I will be sad to skip the Diwali festivities at home as I’m travelling with family. Happy Diwali to you and yours, Sunita! Enjoy the festive time.
    Esha recently posted…A Cherished Picture #CBF17My Profile

Thanks for your good wishes . I am really happy that our traditions are being passed on and celebrating with your family on a holiday is your own tradition! May you also enjoy this family tradition and welcome peace, joy and prosperity to your home

4. Jacqueline says:

I am going to pay attention to my Indian neighbours and wish them a good season of Diwali.

5. It always feels great when a traditions passes on to another generation Sunita 🙂 I have learned a dish named “Pindi Billalu” of Telangana cuisine from my grand mother and made it once, she was filled with joy then. It is only memories that are left of her now in her absence but feels good to cherish those memories.
    Here at my house hold we usually have “Pheni” and have it with milk(Hot/cold) and sugar! My mom also makes a sweet called “Bakshalu”.

How wonderful to know that there is someone carrying on a family tradition. And don’t worry – you can always make your own! Happy Diwali to you and yours

6. Wow!! This is a revelation for me. This is yet another translation of Diwali in our country- one that I had never heard before! thanks for shairng it Sunits- it felt lovely to read about it.
    Wishing you and your family a very happy Diwali too!!!
    SHALINI BAISIWALA recently posted…Disobedience [ #WriteBravely]My Profile

We have 1.25 billion people as our PM tells us …. so there will be many stories. Thanks for stopping by and appreciating my post… feels good to be appreciated