Why save water ?
Well, for several days now, this video clip has been doing the rounds. I’m sure you’ve seen it too. In case you think this is far away from your reality, think again.
A few days ago, the following graphic appeared in a Bangalore newspaper.
Aha! Says you who are not living in any of these cities – this won’t affect me .
- And you go back to brushing your teeth with the water gushing down the drain as you scrub your pearly whites.
- Soaping your pots while the tap is running pointlessly.
- Washing your car by pouring buckets of water indiscriminately.
- Flushing a full water cistern after a 2 drop pee. Every hour or so.
- Running a wash cycle on your dishwasher/washing machine with just the ONE item.
- Have a 10 minute shower twice a day.
- Having just a sip of a glass of water , and abandoning the rest.
- Over-watering your indoor plants till most of the water collects in the below.
- Not attending to leaky faucets and watch the water drip by drop by drop.
- Filling buckets of water when you are warned that the water tanks are being cleaned only to pour them out because you didn’t really need them.
Well most of us are guilty of these actions.
Don’t flush with every pee
Even as housewives, we have enough opportunity to save water.
Whenever I go for a walk in my compound , I see the car washers wobble-walk with buckets of water filled to the brim . By the time they reach the car, a lot of water has splashed out . And when they reach the car, they splash mugfuls of water on the tyres, on the windscreens and eventually pour the remaining in the flower beds! What a sheer waste. All that they need to do is dip a rag in half a bucket of water and squeeze it before wiping down the car.
Similarly, if you wipe down your soiled dinner plates with a newspaper and dip soak them in a tub of soapy water, they are easier to rinse clean with less.
Despite my overhead shower, I use a bucket of water for a bath. My family will vouch for my quick ‘ bird bath’ as I don’t take more than 5 minutes. Also , having a bucket of water restricts the usage of water.
This might sound disgusting to some but honestly flushing after 2 pees is NOT filthy especially when you’re the only one using the bathroom for a 2 drop pee every now and then .
Similarly , serve water in smaller glasses and DRINK up all the water till the last drop.
Wear each garment at least for one whole day. Don’t send it for wash just after it touches your body.
And lastly, brushing teeth with the faucet closed avoids water wastage.Simple actions save many drops. And many drops can save the world. Click To Tweet
Mindful use of water is all that is required to avoid wastage.
The words of a hymn from my school days reinforce the precept that every drop matters
Little drops of water
Little grains of sand
Make the mighty ocean
And the beauteous land
Don’t you think it is high time we stop wasting water and start using it judiciously?
Sharing my thoughts on the occasion of #WorldWaterDay.
I am also participating in an Indiblogger and Livpure initiative #CuttingPaani.
For more tips on how to save water, visit the Livpure site NOW.
What are you doing to save water ?
I’ve signed Livpure‘s petition, “#CuttingPaani”, on Mar 21, 2018
Why don’t you?