August Round-Up : Busy doing nothing

So how was your August?

Surprisingly, for me, these five weeks have been busy . Yet there seems to be nothing to show for it. Despite this, there’s a lot to be grateful for.

For one, I’m grateful that I’m not in Kerala. The deluge, the destruction and the damage in that part of the world has been unprecedented.

August was one month where I appreciated the disturbing pings of WhatsApp Click To Tweet

One of my class mates was marooned on his cupboard for three days with just the occasional rat and a snake for company. But he was one of the luckier ones. Three days later, his cousin came by in  a motor boat and rescued him. He was also lucky enough to have another class mate came to his aid in his clean-up mission with the timely gift of a power cleaner.

And believe it or not, all this is due to the power of WhatsApp. This is one occasion I am grateful for the WhatsApp groups that ping throughout the day.

When more is less

Surprisingly WhatsApp is how I connected with my blogger friends this month. Very few bloggers were actively blogging out there and I missed reading their posts. So while my followers ( 832) have increased, my viewership (1289) has decreased. How does that work?

This may sound crazy but I’m dealing with a situation of over staffing . An old house-help who needs to be retired  cannot be laid off. And  her presence is impeding the new staff from working efficiently. So while I’m grateful for having help, I’m finding it exceedingly difficult to manage them.

Believe it or not, I am still overlooking every minute detail, still pottering in the kitchen and finding it hard to find time to do something more constructive.

Look Mama – NoPain!

After years of aching bones, I am grateful I’ve  had a painless week this month. This is partly due to the regular doses of Calcium I’ve been diligently taking and the accidental discovery of a body massage. Last week out of sheer desperation, I indulged in a body massage and was ecstatic to find that my aches were gone ! I don’t know if it was the massage, the steam or the sauna that gave relief, but whatever it was, it worked!

We are family

This month began well with a Korean lunch with old friends. I also managed to meet up with cousins and spend a delightful afternoon at KalaGhoda.

Of course my mother is mad that I didn’t find time to make a dash to Pune to visit my parents. But with this busy month, I am grateful that I could have snatches of conversation with her and keep in touch.

The Evolution of the cardboard box

The high light of this month has been the evolution of the cardboard box . The children have been indoors thanks to the intermittent rainfall. Every day, three boxes rescued from the garbage dump,  take on a new avatar as Wow Dinga, Ms Papaya and Little Po let their imaginations run wild. What a joy it is too see my living room transformed into Kidzania as my sofa becomes a garbage truck, a space ship and even a Formula One racer!

Even though I sometimes feel sandwiched between two generations, there is nothing more gratifying than knowing that you are surrounded by people who love you . Isn’t it?

How was your August ?

Linking up with Vidya Sury’s #GratitudeCircle and Shanaya’s #ChattyBlogs.

Ciao and Happy September

1. Kalpanaa says:

I loved your blog post and the stories about the children playing with cardboard boxes, the staff problems and of course your gratitude that you’re not in Kerala. Honestly, the story of the man marooned on top of his cupboard with the occasional rat or snake for company made me think. Should we store biscuit packets on top of our cupboards? Well, alls well that ends well, for him at least.

Thanks for stopping by an appreciating. It’s only when I express my gratitude do I realise how lucky I really am . Perhaps if we keep biscuits on the cupboard there will be rats for sure ! I live on the 23rd floor and it will be more than a disaster if I have to climb on a cupboard to stay dry!

2. kalpana says:

Loved your post…I am tempted to write about my August musings too.

3. I normally don’t do a monthly round up but somehow August has been unusually kind. So just yesterday I was thinking of noting down things that made me grateful and I stumbled upon your post now. It just made me feel so happy. I have come to know you well only in the last two months yet I feel like I know you forever. Someday I wish we get to meet in person.

4. Priya Bajpai says:

This is like a ‘grateful post’. We all should stop once in a while and appreciate the day/month/year gone by. I loved the idea. 🙂
    Priya Bajpai recently posted…ReflectionMy Profile

It was meant to be a gratitude post . I originally didn’t believe in being publicly grateful for things lest I attract the evil eye but I find this helps me keep a tab on things and in a way also helps me feel more positive or at least look for the positives in my life

5. Dr.Amrita says:

Overstaffing is a horror for me.So is understaffing.
    Its super to be able to relax and count blessings.Lovely post.

It is hard to strike the perfect balance . I know when Ganpati comes there will be NO staff at home ….. that will be a true test of my ability to function without help

6. Kerala is worst affected by floods. I am glad your friends found help. It is much worse than Chennai and Cuddalore in 2015. Whatsapp groups have been helpful in serving the needy. That’s the good thing about it. Loved the projects done by your kids. Great to know you found massaging to be a relaxing experience to ease your pains. Overall, I love your August. Happy September!!
    Jayanthy Govindarajan recently posted…August Gratitude ListMy Profile

7. Suzy says:

Enjoyed your August roundup. I don’t do one but I think I might give it a try. Love how the most mundane of things can become the best toys. Hope your classmate is safe now.
    Suzy recently posted…Do you Zentangle? #vlog #chaiwithsuzy #SuzysIlationMy Profile

8. Sounds like a lot to be grateful for this past month. Really good to hear how every day small moments can be something to cherish. Hope you have a lovely September!

9. Parul Thakur says:

Sounds like a lot to be grateful for. Little moments of joy add to big doses of happiness. I am sure the little ones are making tons of memories with you and they will connect well with you. Wishing you a happy September.
    Parul Thakur recently posted…Gratitude List – August 2018My Profile

10. Vinitha says:

Glad to know that your friend got help at the right time! Lots of things to be grateful for. I can see your grandchildren having fun with the cardboard boxes as the same thing happens in my living room with my kids. 🙂 Wish you a wonderful September, Sunita!