Makebelieve out of a Box #FridayReflections

She cautiously set her cup on the table and watched the melee in front of her. The three of them were playing a game of Pirates. Luckily none of them had known the horrors of a ship being attacked by pirates but for them, the story of Peppa and the Pirates was one that inspired great wonder.

Two overstuffed armchairs that once occupied pride of place in the living room now occupied pride of place in their make believe game as the Pirate ship. And part of this game too was the empty carton which brought in her computer. Today it is the hub of the pirate ship. The controls from which Capt Wow Dinga mans his ship.

On other days, this empty carton becomes an icecream stand from where Ms. Papaya sells exotic icecreams like Brinjal icecream and corn icecream.

At other times Little Po makes it his shop keeper’s till and makes bills for groceries bought from his make believe shop.

How wondrous is the game of make believe, she thought as she saw these little children find joy in simple things like empty cartons, plump pillows, and an unfettered imagination to think out of the box. The toys she buys remain 10 second wonders. What gives them endless joy is the cardboard boxes in which they were packed. Taking on a new role in their game of pretend and make believe.

Sharing these thoughts of mine as I watch my grandchildren play on Corinne’s #FridayReflections.

FridayReflectionsBadge2018-1

Have a great weekend all

Ciao

1. Akshata says:

Exactly my thoughts when I see my little one play. She is more excited about the boxes the toys and stuff are packed in. Its amazing to see their imagination soar wild.

2. obsessivemom says:

O My God what is it with cardboard boxes?? When the twins were smaller they’d go scavenging around Diwali and come home with all the cardboard in all possible sizes – from shoe boxes to refrigerator boxes. It was quite crazy. Even now, on the brink of their teens, they are fascinated with them and find a thousand games to play in them.
    obsessivemom recently posted…A Spot of Bother #ReviewMy Profile

OMG! I thought my grandchildren were strange but it seems to be a generational thing. Perhaps we didn’t have that many cardboard boxes while growing up else we’d probably have thought out of the box too !

3. Suzy says:

Cardboard boxes and toilet rolls are the best toys. enjoyed this post as it brought back memories of my kids in their childhood days
    Suzy recently posted…Movement Creates Energy – #vlog #chaiwithsuzy #SuzysIlationMy Profile

Thanks so much for stopping by Suzy. We don’t use too much toilet paper so rolls are a bit rare in our home but definitely prized for their role in makebelieve play.

4. I feel the same way both with kids and my pet. They find immense joy in playing with cartons, wraps etc.

5. Shilpa Gupte says:

That’s what I love about kids! FInding joys in things as simple as a cardboard box. I think we ought to change our perception, our way of looking at that cardboard box, right? 😛 Maybe we will learn to appreciate the simple things in life, too.

6. Anagha Yatin says:

Imagination is like Alladi’s magic carpet. Every child has it neatly laid out in his/ her mind, to take a ride any time and every time he /she wishes to. We adults have put the same in the corner and is lying with much dust on it. Time to pull it out, dust it off and enjoy the blissful ride! What say Sunita?

7. Parul Thakur says:

That’s a sweet one. I have seen kids being interested about boxes. Have you seen this very old post? These girls are my apartment guard’s daughters when they were little 🙂 https://www.happinessandfood.com/a-moment-of-sibling-love/
    Parul Thakur recently posted…#FridayReflections – A free writeMy Profile

8. Haha…And I wonder why parents think they have to spend so much on toys!

9. The world of make-believe is fascinating and pure joy. How I wish we never lost those days of innocence!

10. Ness says:

So beautiful and so true. Some of my best childhood memories are the made up games and imaginings.

11. Aww. these boxes.. my girls play with cartons, make it their little home and run the show of an entire household. I cherish these moments as I sit and admire them playing.

12. I loved your post. This is a very common site at my home too. My daughter loves playing with the boxes much more than the real stuff.

13. Vinitha says:

My boys too share this fascination of playing with boxes. Kanna never lets me throw out the cardboard boxes. Imagination is a wonderful friend, isn’t it? ?
    Vinitha recently posted…Unknowingly Neglected #FridayReflectionsMy Profile

14. My toddler leaves aside the toys and starts playing with empty boxes, cartons, papers and anything that ideally should be discarded. I think this market has a huge potential since the choice seems to be unanimous for kids.