To what level discrimination?

Before you read on, let me clarify that I do NOT intend to trivialise affirmative action.

Nor do I intend to hurt any sentiments or religious beliefs.

I am against ALL kinds of discrimination and feel that there should be a level playing field for all humans and all living creatures.

Discrimination of a different kind.

In India particularly, discrimination is taken to another level. With the current case of the suicide of a medical student in a Mumbai college taking an ugly turn ( both religious and casteist), I thought I should share an incident that proves that it is not only people in India that face discrimination.

Normal everyday objects face discrimination too Click To Tweet

With summer coming to an end and the monsoon threatening to strike, it is also time to welcome the common housefly. Despite all the cleanliness drives and citizen initiatives, flies herald our Indian monsoons.  Perhaps they like the cool weather that the monsoon brings.

The fly swat is an object that you never really find when you need it, so I decided to buy it in multiples.

♥ Buying a Fly Swat and other objects

Where I live, buying a fly swat is more difficult than swatting flies.

In the fly season, the newspapers at home are often folded up and splattered with blood, evidence that they’ve been used to swat flies.

One day, I decided that this had to stop: there had to be a more dignified way of getting rid of flies.  So I went down to the neighbourhood multipurpose store selling random goods from printer cartridges to bathroom mops and asked for a fly swat.

The shopkeeper  looked flummoxed and said, “What’s that ?”

“A plastic device to kill flies ”

“To KILL flies?” he said, visibly distressed and  stressing on ‘kill’, crossed his arms and pulled his ears ( a gesture signifying God Forbid)

“Yes, FLIES” I responded stressing on ‘flies’

“We don’t sell anything to kill flies,” he said, conveniently forgetting the insect repellent sprays that he had stored on the top shelf.

“Go to Crawford Market ” he advised. ” You’ll get plenty of those there”

And I hailed a cab to go to the wholesale market in town and bought SIX of them so that I wouldn’t have to go again and again and again.

If you think a fly swat is being singularly discriminated, I had a similar experience with an egg tray. For the life of me, I couldn’t get any egg tray.

♥ Buying leather goods

This discrimination extends to other things too.

Down the street there are several shops selling shoes and handbags. Most of these shops are owned and operated by Aga Khanis or Ismailis who have been in the business for years. Their shoes are always trendy, made from the finest leather and well worth the price. But of late I find that all the shoes they carry are made of synthetic leather.

Once again, this is not to save cows or save any animal but to cater to the sentiment of the local customer who only wears or uses non-animal products! This applies to handbags too which is why Louis Vuitton Neverfull in canvas is so popular with this crowd.

♥ Buying cake

This is something that literally takes the cake!

For years, even my vegetarian friends would make an exception of cake. After all, it wasn’t something that one ate every day and one piece wouldn’t really disturb the belief system.

But now, you actually have to ask for products that are made of egg. Not only are cakes eggless, but so are quiches and pies . And believe it or not, you can get vegetarian CHEESE in all varieties, and Non-animal milk too.

P.s . The trading community who operate most shops in my neighbourhood is largely Jain, strict vegetarians who abhor any slaughter. Some of them even refuse to carry stocks of synthetically flavoured chicken noodles!

Disclaimer :
I do not intend to offend, insult or harm anyone’s personal beliefs. What happened to the student is shameful and my condolences to the bereaved families.

I have no problem with things that are vegetarian or not but just think that discrimination sometimes does go a bit too far…..

Ciao

1. Shilpa Garg says:

You bought six of them? LOL 😀
    We have rechargeable Insect Killer Racket which is useful for flies, mosquitoes,bees, wasps… any flying insect for that matter.

2. Parul says:

Ha ha! they don’t sell chicken flavored noodles? Funny.
    I have never had to buy a fly swat. Actually, in Bangalore I haven’t seen that army of flies to kill 😉
    Parul recently posted…F for Free the Nipple #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

Lucky you. Here we have them in all shapes and sizes- those evil looking fat blue ones and small harmless houseflies too.

Why six..surely the newspaper was useful! We have bought a racket which electrifies the flies. I found it gross initially, but now the senses have numbed and I am grateful for no more flies.

4. seena says:

Ha Ha Ha.. I love this post. So many memories. Especially of mom chasing us kids when we were naughty- saree flying and weapon in hand. Fits in the hand and long enough to reach her little pests!
    I don’t see this much now. In fact staying in a high rise takes away most of the flies too. Love how you bought them in bulk!

Seena
    #AtoZChallenge- F is for Free Advice

5. G Angela says:

was amused to read your post, thanks for making me smile:)
    G Angela recently posted…F – Forgive and stop looking at the PastMy Profile

6. Kala Ravi says:

Hi Sunita, I’ve never seen those before. Have you seen those mosquito racquets? Maybe they could be used for flies as well! Flies are the most annoying pests! Good you found a solution for it!
    @KalaRavi16 from
    Relax-N-Rave
    Kala Ravi recently posted…Fabric Play in InteriorsMy Profile

The fly swat pre- dates the rackets. We will only update our technology when the old one breaks down 😉

7. Esha Dutta says:

I can imagine how bugging that can get…I hate flies too…especially hovering around inside our homes…they got to go…Good you got all six of them…you’re well-stocked now 🙂

8. rajlakshmi says:

that’s definitely a dignified way to kill flies 😀

A Whimsical Medley
    Twinkle Eyed Traveller
    rajlakshmi recently posted…When Friends Troll #atozchallengeMy Profile

9. Maliny Mohan says:

I love the way you seek out things, like the egg cup:) We, as a kids, used to ‘bat’ around with the racket, like cricket players, which was a favourite past tiem those days. But now, may be because of the sudden scarcity of flies, we don’t use it any more. It aches a bit though to see them squashed, but then an irritating fly can be an utter nuisance!
    Maliny Mohan recently posted…Peep Into The Past – Short FictionMy Profile

It’s amazing to learn that flies are an endangered species ! Thank God for that. I hope one day the mosquitos vanish too

10. My Era says:

What… no fly swats…no chicken flavored noodles??
    Good that you got 6 fly swats, one for each working day of the week 😀
    My Era recently posted…FearMy Profile

11. Geets says:

Fly swats are truly a blessing. And specially during the rainy season. They can do wonders and are the saviours in their truest of forms!

Cheers
    Geets recently posted…F- ForlornMy Profile

12. Debbie D says:

Was the shopkeeper averse to killing flies? 🙂 Good thing you stocked up. There’s no shortage of fly swatters here.
    Debbie D recently posted…G is for GOLDEN RETRIEVER | #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

1. May 5, 2016

[…] My favourite post: The letter ‘F’ – Did you know how difficult it is to buy a fly swat? […]