Dizzy Heights #WordlessWednesday

With skyscrapers being more the norm than the exception, many workers have to scale dizzy heights to keep exteriors clean.

My heart was in my mouth as I saw these two men cleaning the wall of a building across from mine.

And, suffering from Acrophobia myself, I was scared . After all, the drop was sheer ( at least a 100 feet down) and the outcome would have been far from pretty.

Though there was an acrylic barrier the men were working without harness. And we all know that ladders can slip especially on a wet floor.

Luckily nothing untoward happened and the men finished their job.

Are you acrophobic?

Sharing this with Esha , The Sky Girl, on #WordlessWednesday.

Hope you have a good week ahead.

Ciao

1. Soumya says:

I’m an acrophobic battling vertigo! Just looking at this image makes my head spin out of control and scare the sh!t outa me!

Having said that, my heart goes out to people who are expected to work like this without any protective gear or insurance. None of them get any insurance I believe. That’s really sad. Working in the IT jungle, I see people suspended from ropes from 15-16 floors just to clean the windows. A rope, a seat and a bucket. That’s all they have!
    Soumya recently posted…The Key To Balance | #WordlessWednesday – 4My Profile

2. Suzy says:

I am acrophobic too. Don’t know how they do these jobs. Even with harnesses they look pretty dangerous.
    Suzy recently posted…Buddha Reminds Us To Stay ZenMy Profile

3. I am acrophobic. This is a new term I learned today. I am also afraid of stepping into a river. Why would someone enter a river? Ganga snaan is the answer I was forced to go twice in my life.
    Anamika Agnihotri recently posted…Unending Monday Blues #MondayMusingsMy Profile

• Unishta says:

Oh dear that’s terrible . I too hate going into swimming pools and can understand your fear of stepping into rivers . Honestly! The things people are forced to do ….

4. Modern Gypsy says:

I’m not acrophobic, but I do think we don’t place much value on people’s lives. It’s par for the course to see people working on skyscrapers without a harness. Even on construction sites, the lack of safety measures is alarming!
    Modern Gypsy recently posted…Mixed media painting: Lotus MoonMy Profile

• Unishta says:

Yes – it’s surprising how people get away with such employment terms . And I’m sure the compensation given in case of accidents is a pittance …. I remember an incident that occurred during the construction of this building : three workers fell to their death but one of them landed in our building so the contractors didn’t want to pay his family any compensation saying that he fell away from the construction site !!!!! I don’t know if they eventually had to pay but to think that they could even contemplate it is horrifying !

5. Rajlakshmi says:

Woa… Are they even harnessed properly? They are brave to be working at dizzying heights.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…Postpartum Yoga and FitnessMy Profile

6. Esha M Dutta says:

Health and Safety issues are never taken seriously in the workplace in our country especially for contract workers and labourers/temporary workers who earn peanuts and often pay with their lives instead! I am an acrophobic like you, Sunita and my heart always skips a beat whenever I see workers in construction sites sitting precariously on ledges! I just let out a prayer every time I see someone like that, without a harness. You were brave to take that shot, Sunita! Thank you for joining us for #ww this week.

7. Alana says:

Oh wow. Not me. Not ever. I can’t even get on a little bitty ladder and go a couple of feet up.

8. I am not afraid of heights, but doing some focused work at height seems scary.

9. Shilpa Gupte says:

I am slightly acrophobic, for even from the 11th floor I get a weird feeling in my stomach. I wonder how these workers do it, putting their lives at risk like that!

10. Obsessivemom says:

Oh My God.. heights scare me and ladders even more so. I keep thinking they’ll slip and fall. I’ve seen men painting buildings and even though thye have a harness, they seem to be sitting way too comfortably. It’s scary.
    Obsessivemom recently posted…How honest are you with your children?My Profile