The curious case of the rocking chair and the laundry

Mary, Mary, quite contrary,

How does the laundry grow?

Upon my teak wood rocking chair

From none to ten and more!

To paraphrase a popular nursery rhyme, I’m amazed at how the laundry in my house just seems to grow. Especially on my rocking chair.

Source : Taaru

The rocking chair

In my bedroom is a rocking chair – a handsome teak wood piece flown down all the way from Delhi. This was in the mid-eighties where furniture did not fly all over the place. Nor was it manufactured by furniture designers. In fact those were the days when  trusty Bhagwati or Ramesh Mistry, made your customised furniture under your watchful supervision in your backyard or miniscule balcony.  So my rocking chair, crafted and designed by Taaru ( a furniture shop in Delhi) was doubly special.

This chair rocked in my bedroom for several years till one day a nephew rocked it over and disjointed it completely!

I was heartbroken seeing the slats of wood fall apart and was about to consign it to Parmar the jaripuranawala to sell it at Chor Bazar.

Read all about Mumbai’s fascinating Chor Bazar here.

But the chair was brought specially by my dad all the way from Delhi, so when Ramesh Mistry offered to patch it up, I readily agreed.

Since then, the chair has rocked me and my babies in various stages of life. I used to read on it, relaxing with the music playing in the background while the girls used to study to its gentle rhythm.

However, of late, it has become the receptacle of washed and ironed laundry, kept there before being transferred to their final destination. And the chair never seems to be bare. No sooner do I put away one load, than another load miraculously appears.  Higher than the one I kept away, the clothes balancing precariously in a random pile where a bed sheet can be kept on a pile of socks and handkerchiefs!!

I wonder how to solve this problem. Should I find another place to keep the laundry or should I wear disposable clothes?

Do you have a problem like this and how do you tackle it?

Let me know in the comments below.

Ciao

1. Suzy says:

I think the laundry likes to tease – I have the same problem too.

2. Obsessivemom says:

Ha ha – I loved your post title. Disposable clothes sound like a good idea. Laundry is unending. Oh and I have a place like this too – the ironing board! No matter how many clothes I remove there always is a new pile on it. It’s crazily frustrating.
    BTW I love the idea of a rocking chair. I need to get one for myself.
    Obsessivemom recently posted…Random ramblings about leftover rotisMy Profile

• Unishta says:

I suppose disposable clothes won’t go down well with environmentalists who will complain about using more resources …. and do get a rocking chair . It’s very restful if you can’t fit a swing in your house

3. We all have that one piece of furniture that is useful for keeping clothes. I realised that if I don’t keep them to their respective places, it will add to next day’s pile of clothes. So I make it a point to clear them in the night itself and use that chair for my reading and writing.

4. Rajlakshmi says:

Loved reading the history behind the rocking chair. I remember even our old chairs were made like that, under the vigilant eyes of mom.
    Piling of clothes happen in our house too if I leave a vacant chair in the room. It’s like all the dirty clothes are attracted to the chair.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…Goat Milk Melt And Pour Handmade Soap TutorialMy Profile

Laundry is really never ending business.. good to keep it on the chair rather than at different places in your house. BTW, the chair is beautiful.

6. Priya Bajpai says:

Hahaha.. That’s quite a mystery. And it is so relatable. We all have that one piece of furniture. I always wonder where does that one sock go? I have this theory that there are small wormholes in our homes. And socks get teleported to the other realm. Maybe another Priya in another realm is thinking the same thing this moment. 😀

7. I am definitely sure this is a universal problem and the possible solution is wearing disposable clothes. But, then people will the disposition an environmental problem. Kahani ka kahin koi end nahin hai 😀
    Anamika Agnihotri recently posted…The Lego Robot Family #WordlessWednesday 42My Profile

8. Shilpa Gupte says:

Haha! How I enjoy your kinda humor, Sunita!
    Yes, I too had this problem of laundry piling high on an ottoman in my guest bedroom. Then, one fine day last year, I decided that enough was enough and made a vow then and there to iron clothes every day and put them into the wardrobe right away. The clothes will not loiter around anywhere. Same went to the washed clothes. Once dry, I would fold them and put them where they belonged which was definitely not on the said ottoman. And, touchwood, I have been able to stick to my plans and it’s a year now that there have been no piles of laundry on any ottoman or any corner in any room.
    Collar tight moment