Outside my window #WordsMatter

As Morning Unfurls

It’s 6 am and the faint monsoon sunlight peeps through the curtains.  It has been raining continuously for the past two days. Perversely, the rain starts with a slow drizzle on Friday morning, gradually working up to a torrential downpour by Saturday. And then on Sunday, it continues to pour. The wettest day of the week. Perhaps I should be happy that it rains only on the weekend. After all, that’s the time when people are home and safe. They don’t have to battle potholed roads or look out for open manholes waiting to devour them up.

But now it is Monday and the clouds have poured out all their rain.  I wake up to the start of another week on a grey Monday morning.

Outside my window, I hear the horns honk. The harsh sounds pierce the morning calm. I look outside irritated. If I could, I would throw a blanket over them to cover the noise. Or better still, rotten eggs and over-ripe tomatoes on the windscreens of the irate drivers, who honk their impatience at the school buses blocking the road. Ironically, these huge, yellow monsters that are the solution to smoother traffic create havoc at the start of school and when school is out. Within minutes, cars stretch down the road to Colaba, the Southernmost tip of this narrow island city.

Outside my window parrots screech during their daily fly past while harrowed mothers coax their reluctant children to hurry up and cross the road before the light turns green. The little things with backs bent with weighted bags would rather catch up with friends met along the way than rush to class.

At the zebra crossing glistening with the morning drizzle,  I spot a policeman outside my window. He sucks in his stomach straining at the buttons and holds his breath. He waves the children on impatiently, longing to blow his whistle and let the traffic flow.

Outside my window I see the dog walker waiting patiently for his gaggle of dogs to stop sniffing at the electric junction box. Soon each dog will lift his hind leg and with practiced ease, slowly release his visiting card that melts with the puddle on the pavement.

On the road divider, I see a banana seller precariously balancing his wares as he waits for the opportune moment to dash across the road.

Outside my window, the day slowly unfurls.  My coffee awaits.

Though July has been a wet month, as far as my blog goes it has been pretty dry. For some strange reason, I just felt too blah to write or read. A short blog hop #The ZombieBlogHop organised by my favourite people shook me out of this inertia but after the brief spurt, I went back into semi hibernation.

Once again it is a blog hop, this time, #WordsMatter blog hop, that has spurred me on.

I received this tag from LATA SUNIL who blogs at https://kaapitimes.com. It’s my pleasure to pass on this tag to ANAGHA YATIN who blogs at https://canvaswithrainbow.com

There are 47 of us on this Blog Hop and it will be spread over 3 days – 2, 3, 4 August. Do follow the #WordsMatter Blog Hop and prepare to be surprised!

Ciao,

1. Suha Vijay says:

Very nice description of the scene outside your window. I felt as though I was standing amidst the street and watching everything pass by

2. Shilpa Garg says:

Early morning life outside your window is pretty interesting! The little details about everything added to the bigger picture making it a one lovely read. 🙂

3. Kala Ravi says:

A beautiful read! I felt I was beside you watching the street scenes unfold storeys below with a splash of Mumbai monsoon flavour. I still can’t decide whether I like weekday rains or weekend rains because either ways I don’t seem to be enjoying them….worrying about folks stuck in the rains or sad I can’t go out during weekends!

• Unishta says:

Ah yes the poor rains are damned if they do and damned if they don’t . They are getting a bit out of hand though being regular weekend spoil sports . I don’t work so I look forward to getting out on the weekend. So when it rains on Friday afternoon I feel glum

4. Anami says:

So detailed, I can imagine every sight you explained. Loved reading it.

5. Shilpa Gupte says:

hahaha…I so loved to read about all that you see outside your window, especially about the dogs! So perfectly described! Loved this post, Sunita…keep ’em coming!

6. Rajlakshmi says:

Ah the traffic after the rain is a battle. Never liked it when I lived in Bangalore. Loved the descriptions. I felt like I was looking out of your window.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…From the hospital bed!My Profile

7. Balaka Basu says:

I loved how beautifully you described the view outside your window. I absolutely love the idea of throwing rotten eggs and tomatoes on the windscreen. The day you do it, please call me..it will be so much fun. I am loving the rains this time.

8. It hardly rains in Hyderabad but whenever it does, feels like the hell broke loose on the streets. I could only imagine how it must effect the daily routines when the rain pour-down in that manner in Mumbai. I loved the way you described everything in detail and took to through them virtually.
    Keerthi Vydyula recently posted…The First Day Fun with Food! #6My Profile

9. Shalini R says:

Ah, what a delightful post. Loved your morning description! Haha about the dogs 😛 Thank you for participating in the bloghop! Hope you have fun!

10. Its always a tough thing to write and write tribe got this started on time.Share the parrot picture with us

• Unishta says:

Yes I will but I’m having issues with downloading pictures from my PC picture library and uploading them on a post. So I really need to have time to sift through all 5000 pics or more 🙁

11. Jyothi says:

A lovely description of the world outside your window. It is uncanny how we see and interpret the things we witness from our windows. There is a grocery delivery truck that disturbs my morning peace with its strange humming sound right outside my balcony. But then I think, that poor guy is delivering goods at 6:30 am! Yet I fret!

12. Outside the window, you have observed every passing human carrying their routine life battling 🙂 rains. Your words took me virtually next to you.
    Pragnya Mishra recently posted…Self-care ideas for new momMy Profile

13. Suzy says:

The beautiful sights and sounds of Mumbai – brought back many memories. I am also just coming out of a blogging hiatus.
    dropping by from the bloghop.
    Suzy recently posted…Outside My Window #WordsMatterMy Profile

• Unishta says:

Isn’t it strange how many of us have been lax about writing these past few months? I loved your scenic views from your windows too. Hope you’ve got my comment

14. Pr@Gun says:

Daily moving life, captured nicely. dog walker, banana seller, traffic police, all looks so lively. nice write up

15. It was a fun read. Like always, your writing offered avenues to have (quiet) chuckles today also. A lot of commotion happens outside your window or should I say right under your window’s nose 🙂 The bits about you wanting to hurl eggs and tomatoes at the noisy school buses and the dogs leaving their visiting cards on the electric poles made me laugh. The latter is a very creative way of looking at this trait of the canines.
    Anamika Agnihotri recently posted…River watch or skywatch? What does the trick for you? #WordsMatterMy Profile

16. I don’t miss Mumbai in the rains, Sunita. Mondays are not the best days for rain, but given how much we need the water, I’m guessing we should be grateful for what we get. The rains are best experienced from inside your home, but most of us don’t have that luxury.
    I’m intrigued by the building in the second image. What is it?

• Unishta says:

Would you believe it is a convent? Actually it was a palace ( of a HIndu thakur actually) before the Belgian nuns converted it into a convent and school ( St. Theresa’s )

17. there’s life outside your home. Whether it is the school bus sounds or the birds or the glistening morning drizzle these are signs of life that is spread around us. Mumbai has its own uniqueness and these sounds are a sign of what mumbai is

18. Anagha Yatin says:

Dogs leaving their visiting cards made me laugh out loud, Sunita. I believe only you can come up with such a bright and light humour!
    As for blog experiencing dry spell, I am in the same boat with you. Only global reason behind this, that I can perceive is ‘el intertio’ or ‘la moody’😉

19. Shalzmojo says:

Oh fist bump on the no reading and writing spell broken by the blog hop now. I too have been away for sometime and this hop has rejuvenated it for me. Happy to see you a part of it too Sunita.

The scene outside your window sounds so full of life and buzz- loved your gentle descriptions; helped me visualise what you were seeing 🙂

• Unishta says:

Thanks Shalz ! I simply loved your travel description and enjoyed the story of your Kashmir trip .
      You have woven an enchanting spell with your words and photographs and I truly see you in the same league as Pico Iyer, Paul Theroux and Bill Bryce.
      I do hope this blog hope has got you back on track and look forward to more such relaxing and entertaining reads

20. Obsessivemom says:

Mornings are busy times. Somedays when I’m on my walk the roads are so crowded that I prefer to delay it a bit so the busses have all gone. they really are big yellow monsters. Oh and have you seen those school vans? They’re even worse, if that were possible. They honk terribly impatiently and it drives me nuts.
    Obsessivemom recently posted…If we were having coffee together – 7 #wordsmatterMy Profile

21. Leo says:

A lot happening outside your window, and you’ve been so observant to record it so beautifully 🙂 Loved reading.
    Leo recently posted…Outside my Window #WordsMatterMy Profile

22. A microcosm of life, that’s what happens outside our windows, isn’t it? Loved viewing out of yours.

23. The morning affairs can be pretty interesting. I loved the way you expressed the views outside your window and the way you defined the dry spell over your blog in July 🙂

Shubhra Rastogi recently posted…Outside My Window #WordsMatterMy Profile

24. This is a post that has to be read while leisurely sipping a cup of coffee. It has that lazy early morning feel to it.

25. Vinitha says:

What a lovely description of your morning outside your window, Sunita. You have chosen each and every word so meticulously and coined them so beautifully that I could picture every detail vividly. Dog leaving the visiting card bit was hilarious. You are a fabulous writer, Sunita. 😀
    Vinitha recently posted…Some Blogging Fun #MondayMusingsMy Profile

26. Parul Thakur says:

Ha ha! I loved the hint of sarcasm which is think is your style. The one of school children carrying heavy school bags touched me the most. I have always loved Mumbai scenes from your pen. Thank you for joining #WordsMatter.
    Today, you made me smile 🙂
    Parul Thakur recently posted…#ThursdayTreeLove – 69My Profile

27. Hi Unishta, I loved your comparison of throwing a blanket over the noise outside. We wish to do that on all the negativity around and shut doors to bad people. This way we would invite only positiveness.