Coping Single-Handedly

If October 1st was International Day of Older Persons, by the end of the month, I learnt what it was like to really be an older person. I also learnt what it was like to work single-handedly.

Over the past month, my blogging has come down to less than a fourth of my regular posts. I have not only written fewer posts but have also cut down my reading. And commenting or replying to comments was out of the question.

This is largely due to the fact that I am now forced to work single-handedly.

Despite noticing my salt and pepper hair getting saltier and less peppery, I never really considered myself as getting older.

Even though I earned ½ percent more interest on my Fixed Deposit as a senior citizen, I never considered myself old.

And travelling on half fare as a Senior Citizen on a railway train didn’t make me feel older either. Especially, since I could haul my own baggage and get on to the train without any assistance.

Similarly, October was a month that taught me the real meaning of being single-handed.

Now, what was it that changed my attitude and perception?

Follow me over the next few posts as I share my experiences of learning to cope with life single-handedly.

Till then,

Ciao

1. Kala Ravi says:

That sounds tough Sunita! But knowing you, you are a fighter with a never say die attitude, you would surely have swung things, even single-handedly in your favor.
    Kala Ravi recently posted…Makings of a Happy DiwaliMy Profile

2. Natasha says:

Dearest Sunita,

Sending you much love and healing thoughts. I bet you will tide over the tough times soon. We all know you as a tough, jovial cookie.

Hope your fractured arm has healed well, and you are on the mend.

Love, and light always

3. Shalzmojo says:

Having met you in person, I can happily say that you are not old at all. I am glad to see you back to blogging and its lovely to read your post. Eagerly awaiting the next one and hope the arm is much better now!

4. Jyothi Nair says:

Looking forward to learning from our experiences.

5. I hope your arm is getting better, Sunita. Your attitude is very inspiring. Take care of yourself. Hugs

6. Balaka Basu says:

Awww..I want to be like you..exactly like you when I am your age. You are the most beautiful, charming, bubbly senior citizen that I have met. I am praying for your hand to heal soon. Till then keep writing these short humorous posts to feel happy yourself and also make us laugh.

• Unishta says:

Yes as the Readers Digest used to say laughter is the best medicine. And I’m flattered that you consider me beautiful…… I see in you a kindred spirit and can see you climb ladders too !

7. Shilpa Gupte says:

It is your effervescence that keeps you young, Sunita! And, although you have now become a single-handed soldier, I am sure you will tide yourself over these tough times, too. You will beat them and come out stronger,

Lots of love and tight hugs!
    Shilpa Gupte recently posted…Why I am on a blogging break.My Profile

• Unishta says:

Thanks Shilpa. I do hope to come out better if not wiser ….. writing about this experience makes me realise how lucky I am to be able to do something apart from watching tv . Reading can be tough as turning pages is hard …..

8. Obsessivemom says:

I love how you’re handling this Sunita. Way to go. Looking forward to your posts.
    Obsessivemom recently posted…Throwback TimesMy Profile